Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts 4-2 Barnet

Roberts, Wootton, Boldewijn and Doyle on target in win

10 October 2020

Match Reports

Notts 4-2 Barnet

Roberts, Wootton, Boldewijn and Doyle on target in win

10 October 2020

We made it two wins from two with a 4-2 victory over Barnet.

We ran riot in the first half with Cal Roberts, Kyle Wootton and Enzio Boldewijn firing us into a 3-0 lead before John Hooper pulled one back in first-half stoppage time.

Hooper scored again midway through the second half with 15 minutes to play but we made sure of the points when Michael Doyle produced a composed finish at the death.

Neal Ardley hinted at changes in the build-up to the match and in the end opted to make four alterations to the starting XI that saw off Altrincham in midweek.

In came Ruben Rodrigues for his first start in the black and white, while Damien McCrory, Sam Graham and Boldewijn were also given the nod.

Richard Brindley, Jim O'Brien, Wes Thomas and Alex Lacey all made way and lined up alongside Elisha Sam on the bench.

We set the tone early on when Doyle played a brilliant ball over the top for Wootton, who struck the post with his shot. The ball came out to Jake Reeves, who drew a booking from Tyrone Duffus before seeing Roberts curl the resultant free-kick over the bar. 

Shortly afterwards, Boldewijn cut in from the left and fired the ball over – but we didn’t have to wait much longer to have the ball in the back of the net. 

Roberts got the party started on 14 minutes with a brilliant first-time finish into the top corner from the edge of the area after receiving a lay-off from Wootton. 

And it was 2-0 three minutes later when Wootton and Roberts switched roles, the latter whipping in a low cross from the right which the former managed to poke home from six yards out. 

We were in rampant mood and moved even further ahead on 22 minutes when Roberts, pivotal again, burst down the right, picked out Boldewijn and watched on as the Dutchman found the bottom corner from 20 yards out. 

Rawlinson went into the book for a foul on Fonguck, Roberts saw a shot blocked and former Notts keeper Scott Loach fumbled Rodrigues’ shot behind as the game continued at a frantic pace. 

And, shortly after Wootton had fired a first-time shot over the bar from the edge of the area, Boldewijn came within inches of making it four when he twisted his full-back inside out before firing a cross-shot inches wide of the far post. 

It was hard to see where a Barnet goal was coming from but they managed to carve us open in first-half stoppage time, Hooper weaving his way past Graham in the area to finish from close range. 

There were no changes at the break and Boldewijn set about extending our lead within minutes of the restart, seeing a low effort blocked after cutting inside on his right foot. 

But as the half wore on we were finding it far more difficult to break down a Barnet side who went close to narrowing the deficit further when Ephron Mason-Clark drove a long-range shot a yard or so wide of Sam Slocombe’s post. 

Ardley’s first changes came on 66 minutes when Boldewijn and Rodrigues made way for Thomas and O’Brien. 

And Thomas had a good chance to extend our lead shortly after coming on, failing to jump high enough to keep his header down following McCrory’s cross. 

Three minutes later, the new arrivals saw their side concede a second when Reeves gave up possession in midfield, setting off a quick counter-attack which ended with Hooper tapping the ball home from close range.

But we soon set about trying to restore our two-goal advantage and our substitutes nearly combined when Thomas did brilliantly to get past Matt Preston and cross for O'Brien, who was denied a tap-in by a brilliant last-ditch challenge from Alex McQueen.

Roberts then had two chances to wrap things up after Thomas had laid the ball off for him, only for a Bees defender to make crucial blocks on both occasions.

That proved to be Roberts' final action as he made way for Brindley shortly before four minutes were added on at the end of the match.

And it was left to Doyle to add gloss to the scoreline when Wootton cleverly left Reeves' cross for the skipper to stroke the ball home from inside the area.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop