Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rochdale v Notts County

4 October 2016

Rochdale 2-1 Notts County

Notts County were beaten 2-1 by League One side Rochdale in the Checkatrade Trophy this evening.

Jonathan Forte gave Notts the lead but second-half strikes from Sanmi Odelusi and Steven Davies handed the home side victory.

The result leaves Notts second bottom of their group and needing an outright victory at Sunderland on Tuesday 8 November to qualify for the knockout stage.

John Sheridan made a number of changes to the side he selected for the abandoned match against Morecambe.

Adam Collin was named on the teamsheet but, feeling unwell, he concluded his warm-up early and was replaced by Scott Loach.

Notts lined up with a flat back four, Rob Milsom and Elliott Hewitt playing as full backs and Haydn Hollis and Louis Laing in the middle.

Graham Burke, captain Stanley Aborah and Jordan Richards were the central midfielders, with Adam Campbell and Jonathan Forte providing the width. Vadaine Oliver led the line.

Notts claimed the first shot of the match on nine minutes, Richards moving cleverly into space to receive the ball and driving at the Dale defence. The young midfielder played a square pass to Campbell, whose well-struck low effort was saved by Josh Lillis at his post.

The home side showed their threat shortly afterwards, Odelusi slipping Andrew Cannon into the area but, with the ball running away from goal and the angle tightening, he could only fire it well over.

Joe Rafferty followed suit for the hosts with another wayward effort before Notts took the lead in scrappy style.

Hewitt was fouled near the corner flag and Burke whipped the ball into the middle with the subsequent free-kick. Hollis got the first touch but Forte's contact was decisive, diverting it over the line from close range.

Loach had to be alert to prevent Rochdale from equalising almost immediately, getting down well to make the save after Odelusi had been played in brilliantly by Callum Camps.

A flurry of half-chances followed for Notts, Burke and Campbell seeing long-range efforts comfortably saved and Oliver guiding a header wide at the back post.

Dale claimed the final shot of the half, Camps getting the ball out of his feet well but blazing it well over the bar.

Sherdian made one change at the break, replacing Forte with Genaro Snijders.

And the winger created his side's next chance when he drew a foul from Scott Tanser in a dangerous position on 57 minutes. Burke took responsibility for the set piece but his shot, despite bouncing awkwardly in front of Lillis, was saved.

Moments later, Odelusi went down under a challenge in Notts' area and the referee blew his whistle. But, instead of awarding a penalty, he booked the striker for simulation.

Odelusi's frustration was short-lived, however. Shortly after Davies had seen his header blocked by Hewitt, Davies slid the ball across goal for Odelusi to direct it past the helpless Loach from six yards.

On 67 minutes, Aborah came off for Thierry Audel and handed Hollis the captain's armband.

But there was nothing Notts' defence could do to prevent Dale taking the lead two minutes later as two substitutes combined. Oliver Rathbone provided a delightful cross to the back post, where Davies was on hand to control the ball well and finish coolly beyond Loach.

Notts were straight on to the front foot and came close to an equaliser after Campbell exchanged passed with Snijders. The former Newcastle man struck his shot sweetly from the edge of the area but the ball took a nick off a Dale defender on its way narrowly over the bar.

Snijders was looking bright and he was the next Notts man to go close, almost rounding off a move he started with a surging run down the right. Oliver managed to lay the ball off to the Dutchman 18 yards out but his shot went just over.

The Magpies continued to press and so nearly had an equaliser in the dying minutes. Campbell played a neat through ball for Hewitt, who had the pace to get to the ball before the keeper, chipping it over him. Oliver looked certain to turn the ball home on the line but in came Dale defender Rafferty to make a heroic clearance.

Campbell then had an excellent opportunity as the fourth official prepared to display his board. Snijders supplied him but he could only fire the ball straight at Lillis from the edge of the box.

Five minutes were added on at the end of the match, during which Oliver headed the ball straight at Lillis following Burke's pinpoint cross.

And the Magpies were left to rue missed opportunities as the match ended 2-1 in the hosts' favour.

Advertisement block