Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town v Notts County

8 October 2016

Match Reports

Mansfield Town v Notts County

8 October 2016

Mansfield 3-1 Notts County

Notts County were beaten 3-1 by Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium this afternoon.

Matt Green, who had opened the scoring seconds after coming on in the second half, cancelled out Alex Rodman's equaliser by scoring from the penalty spot in the last minute of normal time.

Fellow substitute Darius Henderson rounded things off with a neat finish in injury time.

Notts captain Michael O'Connor has been struggling with a groin problem recently and was absent from the squad. That meant Stanley Aborah continued in central midfield as John Sheridan named the same starting 11 that took to the field in the abandoned match against Morecambe.

The Magpies started the match strongly and had the first opportunity of the afternoon on six minutes when Jonathan Forte was fouled 25 yards out. Notts skipper Carl Dickinson curled the ball over the bar from the subsequent free-kick.
Forte was involved again four minutes later as the visitors came within inches of taking the lead. He latched on to Jon Stead's flick on, cut on to his left foot in the area and fired the ball low towards the near corner. Stags keeper Scott Shearer got down well to his left to touch the ball on to the post.

Mansfield's first shot followed shortly afterwards as Mitchell Rose scuffed the ball harmlessly wide from range, but Notts kept up their pressure and came close to taking the lead twice in quick succession.

September's League Two Player of the Month Stead was denied first, striking the ball sweetly on the turn eight yards out but seeing his effort headed off the line by Lee Collins.

And Forte was left frustrated two minutes later when he was played through one-on-one by Stead before seeing his low finish well saved by Shearer.

Stags were struggling to create chances against Notts' resolute defence but had an opportunity on 25 minutes when Rhys Bennett whipped in a dangerous cross from the right. Under pressure from Matt Tootle, Danny Rose could only turn the ball wide at the back post. 

The home side had now steadied the ship somewhat and, apart from a defensive Pat Hoban header that went narrowly wide of his own goal, Notts were restricted by their hosts up until half-time.

Notts had a chance to open the scoring seconds after the restart, however. Jamie McGuire went into the book for a foul on Milsom 25 yards out, presenting Aborah with an opportunity to curl the ball goalwards from the free-kick. The midfielder could only send it harmlessly over the bar.

Forte had the next glimpse of goal after good work down the right between Tootle and Stead, the latter whipping the ball low to the near post where Forte's shot was turned behind by his marker.

Notts took the subsequent corner short, working the ball to the edge of the area for Aborah. He looped a shot across goal and just wide of the far post.

Stags made the first change of the game on 54 minutes, sending on Green for Danny Rose.

And, seconds after play resumed, the forward scored with his first touch - his shot from 12 yards taking a heavy deflection off a Notts man and leaving Collin with no chance.

It was nearly two moments later when Oscar Gobern, on for Kevan Hurst, played an inch-perfect pass over the top for Hoban. The forward looped the ball over Collin and saw it crash off the crossbar.

John Sheridan made a triple change on 70 minutes as Haydn Hollis, Aborah and Stead made way for Jordan Richards, Aaron Collins and Vadaine Oliver.

Oliver's first action was to write himself into the referee's notebook for a robust aerial challenge on Krystian Pearce.

Stags defender Pearce should perhaps have made it 2-0 moments later when he rose highest at a corner but could only head the ball over.

Notts were struggling to reach the performance levels they had achieved in the first half and as the clocked ticked down it looked like the match was slipping away from them.

But, on 82 minutes, they were given a chance when Bennett was booked for tugging back Forte down the left. Dickinson sent the ball into the area and the ball dropped for Rodman, who managed to fire it through the bodies and into the net in front of 1500 jubilant away fans.

And Notts had a half chance to complete the turnaround when Mansfield failed to clear a long ball into the box and Oliver sent the ball over with an acrobatic effort.

The game was anyone's now and Stags substitute Henderson went close in the dying, nodding the ball wide from a deep cross.

And the home side were back in front after Tootle's miscontrol in the area allowed Malvind Benning to nip in, drawing a foul from the full back and winning a penalty. Green made no mistake from the spot, firing the ball into the top corner.

Four minutes were added on at the end of the match, during which the Stags made the points safe when Notts failed to deal with a bouncing ball in their own area. Henderson capitalised to score from 12 yards.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop