Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Notts County Reserves 3-5 Sheffield Wednesday Reserves

6 December 2016

Notts County's Reserves fell to a 5-3 defeat at the hands of a strong Sheffield Wednesday Reserves side on Tuesday afternoon.

Notts took the lead after just three minutes. Curtis Thompson played a ball through the centre of the visitors’ defence to Jon Stead, who beat the offside trap and rounded the goalkeeper, going down under the 'keepers challenge. The referee pointed to the spot and it was Stead who picked himself up to take the spot kick, drilling the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Almost straight from the kick off Wednesday had a chance to equalise, but the striker fired the pull back over the bar when well placed eight yards out.

It was the combination of Thompson and Stead which almost created the home side’s second goal, the ball being worked across to Thierry Audel on the left who fired inches wide of the right hand post.

Stead grabbed his second, on his first full start since an ankle injury, in the 26th minute. The striker’s cross was only cleared back to him and he beat a defender before curling a left footed effort past the keeper and into the far corner.

The visitors hit back immediately and halved the deficit in the 26th minute. The Wednesday striker sliding in to finish a deep cross at the back post.

Wednesday were level ten minutes before half time. Scott Loach did well to save the first effort, but it came out to the away side’s number seven who took his time before bending an unstoppable effort into the top corner.

Notts made two changes at the break with Thompson and Stead, who are both coming back from injuries, making way for Jack McMillan and Sam Osborne.

Three minutes into the second half Wednesday took the lead as the number 19 grabbed his second of the game, heading home a cross in the six yard box.

In the 56th minute the Owls added their fourth goal. A swift passing move saw them break into the area, where the midfielder’s shot took a heavy deflection off Thierry Audel, wrong footing Loach, and finding the net.

Jordon Richard and Dominic Brownhill entered the fray for the final thirty minutes, replacing Luther Wildin and Alan Smith for the hosts.

Loach reacted will to save from Wednesday’s number 19, with the striker looking to add his third goal of the afternoon, but he was prevented by the strong hands of Notts’ keeper.

However, the number 19 did complete his hat trick inside the final ten minutes as he reacted quickest to a loose ball six yards out following a corner to extend the lead.

Immediately Notts hit back with an impressive solo effort from Aaron Collins. The striker weaved his way past three challenges before striking left footed across the ‘keeper and into the far corner for the final goal of the game.

Advertisement block