Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts 1-1 Yeovil

Lacey's late header secures point

5 March 2022

Match Reports

Notts 1-1 Yeovil

Lacey's late header secures point

5 March 2022

Alex Lacey's injury-time header earned us a point against Yeovil Town.

Having seen a number of good first-half opportunities pass us by, we were hit with a sucker punch shortly after the break when a defensive error led to Alex Bradley putting his side in front.

With a freezing wind whipping round Meadow Lane making playing conditions very tough, it looked like we were set for our third home league defeat of the season.

But Lacey, on for the injured Kyle Cameron, climbed highest inside nine minutes of second-half injury time to glance home the perfect header.

Ian Burchnall was forced to make one change to the side that lined up against Chesterfield in midweek, with the injured Richard Brindley making way for Connell Rawlinson in central defence.

And it proved to be a quiet first half for our back four as we assumed control early on - carving out a big double chance on 10 minutes when Eli Sam's downward header was well saved by Grant Smith, who picked himself up to keep the ball out again after Kyle Wootton diverted Adam Chicksen's shot towards goal.

Sam whipped an effort wide of the top corner seconds later and we had a massive chance to take the lead on 23 minutes when Cal Roberts produced the perfect cross for Ruben Rodrigues, who could only send his diving header wide.

Our momentum was halted five minutes later, however, when Cameron pulled up with a hamstring injury while chasing a ball into the channel, prompting Lacey's introduction.

Half-time arrived with no goals for either side to celebrate and the conditions seemed to worsen before the players returned for the second half.

And the gale-like conditions caught Ed Francis out two minutes into the half, when he misjudged a header back to Vitezslav Jaros, drawing the keeper off his line to make a good save. Jaros had to continue his pressure as the loose ball fell to a Yeovil man and it eventually came to Bradley, who did brilliantly to finish despite bodies being in the way.

There was frustration for Rodrigues once again shortly afterwards when Grant Smith made a tremendous save to keep his effort out at the near post.

And tensions spilled over moments later when the ball ran away from Adam Chicksen and his attempted tackle drew a furious reaction from opposition players, leading to a fracas between both teams. Chicksen and Bradley both saw yellow.

Jayden Richardson, struggling with a tight hamstring, then made way for Dion Kelly-Evans as a bitty second half rolled on, with Matt Palmer's corner crashing off the crossbar proving to be one of very few threatening moments before nine minutes of added time were indicated.

But, determined to take something from the game, we won a free-kick down the left which was floated into the area by Matt Palmer and expertly headed home by Lacey.

The game was now anyone's and, after a couple of nervy moments, we nearly created a golden opportunity for Wootton to win it when Rawlinson nodded the ball down in the area. There was just too much power on it, though, and the keeper gathered to consign the game to stalemate.

STARTING XI: Jaros; Chicksen, Cameron (Lacey 28'), Rawlinson, Richardson (Kelly-Evans 58'); Francis (Mitchell 80'), Palmer, Rodrigues; Sam, Roberts, Wootton

UNUSED SUBS: Nemane, Sam

BOOKINGS: Francis 41', Chicksen 56', Rodrigues 70', Sam 74'

ATTENDANCE: 6,943 (223)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop