We have donated next Saturday’s Woking match sponsorship package to our charity partner Age UK Notts following the launch of their Dear Christmas Friend campaign – and we’re encouraging our supporters to get involved!
We’re all wondering about Christmas this year and whether we will be able to spend it with our loved ones. For older people in hospital, that worry weighs even more heavily.
Age UK Notts are giving you the opportunity to bring a little cheer to the wards of Lings Bar hospital, in Gamston, in the form of a Dear Christmas Friend letter, card, picture or painting which can be shared with the patients to provide some much-needed contact with the outside world.
Lings Bar staff have already received a number of contributions and have said they have brought great comfort to the patients.
Want to join in? Here are some guidelines for you to follow:
- Get the younger generation involved. If you have children, encourage them to make a card, write a letter or do some drawing
- Address the card or letter to ‘Dear Christmas Friend’
- If writing a letter, share general information about yourself, such as your job, hobbies, seasonal anecdotes, Christmas traditions or your favourite things about winter
- If sending a card, remember that not everybody is religious or of the same religion, so choose or draw designs that are suitable for everyone
- Offer some reminiscence opportunities. You could mention favourite places or childhood memories
- Postcards with pictures of gardens, animals, pets, art works, or coastal views can all help to stimulate conversations and memories
- Ask questions to encourage the patient to think about their own lives, for example, ‘Christmas Pudding is my favourite part of the meal. What’s your favourite?’
- Encourage the recipient to follow government guidance on keeping themselves safe
- Sign your card or letter with your first name only
- Don’t stick anything to your card. Glitter, sequins, twigs and cotton wool might fall off and make a patient uncomfortable or create extra work for the cleaning staff. Letters, paints, felt-tips, wax crayons or pencils only, please
- Don’t add any details that will identify you specifically such as your address, date of birth or age
- Don’t be political or share conspiracy theories
Please remember to put a stamp on your envelope and send to:
Age UK Notts, Castle Ward, Lings Bar Hospital, Beckside, Gamston, Nottingham, NG2 6PR
Staff at the hospital will follow relevant guidance when distributing the letters.
If you make a card or picture and you’re pleased with your art work, why not enter it into Age UK Notts’ competition to find the best Christmas drawing of 2020?
All you have to do is to take a photograph of your artwork and email it to email@example.com. Don’t forget to include your name, then pop your artwork into the envelope and post it to the hospital using the details above.
Age UK Notts will select their 10 favourites from all entries submitted before asking the staff and patients at Lings Bar Hospital to choose the winner. We’ll send a small prize and certificate to the winner in January 2021.
Age UK Notts will create a gallery of art works on their website so you can see how truly talented the people of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire are, and you might even see your drawing on their social media!