Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts 1-0 FC Halifax Town

Magpies victorious despite sending off

14 September 2019

Match Reports

Notts 1-0 FC Halifax Town

Magpies victorious despite sending off

14 September 2019

Kyle Wootton scored his first goal at Meadow Lane as Notts County beat FC Halifax Town 1-0.

The Magpies had to do it the hard way after being reduced to 10 men shortly after half-time, when Michael Doyle was shown a straight red card for a high challenge in midfield.

But Wootton, who was named Man of the Match, snapped up a rebound just before the hour mark to fire Notts to their second home win of the season. 

Neal Ardley made four changes to the side that drew at Sutton last week, including Richard Brindley coming in for his debut to replace the injured Dion Kelly-Evans.

Sam Graham also came into the back four with Ben Turner and Damien McCrory completing the shield in front of Sam Slocombe's goal - Connell Rawlinson dropped to the bench.

Making his 50th Notts appearance, Enzio Boldewijn lined up on the right of a midfield also featuring Doyle, Mitch Rose and Jim O'Brien, who replaced Regan Booty. In attack, Wes Thomas was given the nod ahead of Kristian Dennis to partner Wootton, who scored his first goal for the club at Sutton. 

The Magpies kicked off and instantly went on the attack with the front two and Brindley linking up well before Wootton saw an effort deflected behind. Turner headed wide from the resultant corner.

Town's first opening came on eight minutes when Cameron King carried the ball forwards before shooting from 20 yards, with Slocombe forced to parry behind. The set piece found visiting captain Nathan Clarke at the back post but his header had the power taken off it and Notts' keeper was able to claim.

Debutant Brindley was seeing plenty of the ball for the Magpies and, inside the opening quarter of an hour, his devilish cross had the Shaymen in trouble as it travelled along the six-yard box, but no one in black and white could apply the finishing touch. 

O'Brien sent a long-range effort over the bar before, at the other end, Jamie Allen flashed a shot wide of Slocombe's far post after driving down the Halifax right. 

Another inviting Brindley delivery went agonisingly close to finding Thomas on 18 minutes, but the ball was inches beyond his outstretched foot and Town keeper Sam Johnson was able to claim. 

The striker was then booked for a late challenge on Charlie Cooper just before the half-hour mark but a free-kick he won led to the Magpies' first shot on target after he battled well for a long ball and was brought down by Clarke, who was booked. Brindley stood over the set piece and beat the wall, but Johnson made a comfortable save.

That sparked Notts into life and, within a minute, a well-worked O'Brien corner picked out Boldewijn who had his shot well blocked - Rose's fiercely-struck follow-up had the same outcome.

Thomas was next to try his luck and went as close as anyone did in the opening period. He showed great feet to work space for a shot from 20 yards and caught his effort sweetly, forcing a fine save out of Johnson to turn the ball over.

Turner met the resultant corner but couldn't divert his volley goalwards, and a Boldewijn cross was just too high for Wootton and caught McCrory unawares at the back post as Notts piled on the pressure as the first-half minutes ebbed away.

However, it was Town who claimed the final opening before the sides returned to their dressing rooms. Just before three minutes were added on for stoppages, King found space inside the Magpies' area and struck a low cross-shot, which had Slocombe concerned, but no one met it and the half ended goalless. 

The sides returned for the second period unchanged, but the odds were soon against Notts as Doyle was given his marching orders within two minutes of the restart after following through with a high challenge on Cooper after winning the ball in midfield. Rose took the armband as the club captain headed down the tunnel.

Despite their man disadvantage, the Magpies were next to have a sight of goal when O'Brien's through ball sent Wootton in behind, but his shot was blocked by the recovering Josh Staunton.

Town were seeing plenty of the ball following the red card but Liam McAlinden curling an effort high and wide was the best they could muster before Notts took the lead on 57 minutes.

It was thanks to a pinpoint through ball from O'Brien once again, this time picking out Thomas inside the Halifax box. Johnson was quickly out to meet the forward and denied him one-on-one but the rebound landed perfectly for Wootton, who composed himself before firing home his second in as many matches. 

It could have been two on 65 minutes as Notts continued to create the better openings. The goalscorer showed neat feet in the final third to feed McCrory on the left flank and his whipped cross picked out Thomas, but the striker miscued his header and it went wide.

Town tested Slocombe for the first time since the resumption when Allen drove into the area but he fired straight at the keeper and the Magpies cleared.

Ardley was forced into a change on 70 minutes when Turner looked to have picked up a knock and Rawlinson replaced him in the heart of defence.

And Notts were next to create an opening when Thomas received the ball on the left-hand side of the area before cutting inside his man, but he fired high into the Air-IT Kop with just Johnson to beat. 

Brindley was booked for taking his time over a throw, before Tobi Sho-Silva headed Michael Duckworth's right-wing cross wide on 81 minutes as Town looked to level. 

Booty replaced Thomas with six to play and slotted into central midfield alongside Rose, with Wootton now operating as a lone striker, and the goalscorer was cautioned for shooting after the whistle had already gone for offside in the dying minutes.

A further five were added on at the end of the 90 and Town earned a corner in the last of those, but Notts saw off any threat and picked up a well deserved three points. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop