Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under 18s advance in Youth Cup

Young Magpies win under Meadow Lane lights

1 October 2019

Notts County Under 18s recorded a comprehensive 8-1 win against Leicester Nirvana to progress to the third round of FA Youth Cup qualifying.

Kayne McKenna opened the scoring inside 10 minutes, with striker Tyreace Palmer netting the next five and Kieran Cummings and substitute Cameron Smith grabbing numbers seven and eight.

The away side had gone into half-time at 2-1 thanks to a Jamil Humoud spot-kick but the Magpies made their superiority show after the break and ran out comfortable winners.

Notts started as they meant to go on, with Cummings showing great pace from a standing start to charge past his man on the left flank and shoot, only to be denied by the feet of the visiting keeper with just four minutes on the clock.

He played a hand as the Magpies took the lead only seconds later - meeting James Snedden's low corner with a well-struck effort towards goal which McKenna turned in from just inside the far post.

On eight minutes it could have been two. Syme Mulvany got to the byline before firing a low cross towards Palmer, which the striker could only turn wide under pressure from a Nirvana defender.

McKenna was looking bright and did well to cut inside past a couple of defenders before curling an effort wide from range as the Magpies looked to add a swift second.

Cummings was next to chance his arm after being picked out by a quickly-taken free-kick into the inside right channel, he took the ball inside his man but saw his shot well blocked.

He was at it again on 16 minutes, showing excellent control to bring down a corner which had been cleared 30 yards from goal and driving forwards. The left winger shot low towards the far post but saw his effort go just the wrong side.

Next Cummings looked to turn provider, bending in a fantastic cross to Palmer which the forward expertly headed towards goal, only to see the ball cannon back off the post with goalkeeper Elijah Nkewe stranded.

The away side had their first sighter on 20 minutes when Humoud curled an effort towards goal from distance but Tiernan Brooks was not to be put off by the wind and rain at Meadow Lane and held on to the ball.

The respite proved only temporary as Notts quickly resumed their search for a second and but for an excellent defensive header they would have had it. Mulvany again got to the byline and drilled a low cross into the box which was parried away by Nkewe. It only went as far as McKenna, though, who showed great control to bring the ball down and curl a shot which looked set for the top corner but Michael Akintunde headed clear.

McKenna might have been denied his second but the Magpies soon had theirs, and it came courtesy of a great assist from the opposite flank.

The dangerous Cummings once again picked out Palmer with a cross, this time a low one into the six-yard box and the striker made no mistake on 25 minutes.

Notts were making their superiority show and Corey Bucalossi went close to adding a third just after the half-hour when he shot from 20 yards but saw his effort deflected narrowly over the bar.

Mulvany went even closer on 33 minutes when a neat ball through from Palmer sent him in behind the defence and he lifted over the on-rushing goalkeeper but a pair of recovering defenders managed to clear.

Leicester were handed a lifeline with less than 10 to play before the break when Charlie Wilde brought down Theo Baker inside the area after playing a loose pass. Humoud stepped up and converted to halve the Magpies' advantage. 

Palmer fired over from range as Notts looked to restore their two-goal cushion before the interval and they were given a golden chance to do exactly that moments before the half-time whistle, when McKenna turned his man inside the corner of the area and was brought down. Bucalossi stepped up but could only find the upright with his powerful penalty.

Palmer tested Nkewe from range with the last chance of the half and Notts went in just one goal to the good despite dominating proceedings.

The Magpies came out flying and were two up within seconds of the restart. The first-half scorers combined as Mckenna picked out Palmer in the area, who confidently finished to double his tally.

He could have had his hat-trick on 48 minutes when a driven Cummings cross found him inside the area but Palmer couldn't take enough of the sting out of the ball and his header went over. 

He did have his third shortly afterwards, though, with the pick of his goals. He recieved the ball just outside the Leicester box and turned on a sixpence before bending home Notts' fourth of the evening.

Mulvany powered forwards as the Magpies looked to ensure the scoreline reflected their dominance of proceedings, but he could only find the side netting with Nkewe rushing out to meet him.

Palmer grabbed his fourth of the evening on 57 minutes, with McKenna again the provider. His low right-wing cross picked out the striker inside the six-yard box and he applied the finish to make it 5-1. 

The linesman's flag denied Stern Irvine a place on the scoresheet just after the hour when he turned home the rebound from Snedden's low free-kick only to be adjudged offside.

Palmer netted his fifth, just before making way for Taylor Conway on 70 minutes, when he glanced home Leo Marshall's cross from left back. 

Cummings got the goal his performance deserved with 15 to play. He'd been down injured but sprung into life to turn Bucalossi's low delivery into the back of the net, before being withdrawn due to the knock he had suffered.

Bucalossi was denied one-on-one before substitutes Morgan Mellors and Smith combined, with the latter seeing a shot saved at the back post as the clocked ticked past 80.

Smith beat a couple of defenders before firing narrowly wide but it was third time lucky on 84 minutes when he latched onto Conway's through ball and lifted over Nkewe.

Mellors and Snedden both tried their luck from range before the referee called time on a conclusive victory for Craig Gordon's side.

Notts: Brooks, Simmons, Irvine, Wilde (C), Marshall, Snedden, Bucalossi, Mckenna (Smith 64'), Mulvany, Cummings (Mellors 76'), Palmer (Conway 70').

Subs not used: Harrison, Stavrou.

Advertisement block