Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Woking 0-4 Notts

Boldewijn and Thomas at the double in Surrey

29 October 2019

We bounced back to winning ways with a superb 4-0 victory at Woking which lifted us back into the National League play-off places.

Two goals each from Enzio Boldewijn and Wes Thomas moved us up to seventh position ahead of Saturday's home game with Hartlepool United.

Manager Neal Ardley made three changes to the side which lost at Chesterfield on Saturday, a defeat which ended a six-game unbeaten run.
Thomas, Regan Booty and Connell Rawlinson all started, with Kristian Dennis, Zoumana Bakayogo and Sean Shields dropping to the bench.
We began brightly and almost had a dream start when Damien McCrory's left-wing cross was headed over by Kyle Wootton in just the second minute.
Jake Hyde looked to be through on Sam Slocombe's goal before a late offside flag was raised, but it was us who took the lead after six minutes with another goal-of-the-season contender from Boldewijn. He picked up the ball ten yards inside Woking's half, turned his defender and raced towards goal before unleashing an unstoppable right-foot shot into the top right corner of Craig Ross' net.
Ben Turner headed over Booty's free kick and Wootton looked certain to nod home from a yard out after Boldewijn's cross, but Ross got his fingertips to the ball just before it reached the striker, who could only head over.
Woking threatened through a series of free kicks but Slocombe and his defence held firm, and we doubled our lead on 19 minutes. Wootton burst through and Ross could only touch his shot to Thomas, who bundled the ball over the line.
A last-ditch tackle by Jack Cook denied Booty, and Wootton could only shoot into the side netting as we finished a fine half in control.
Woking must have had a tough half-time talk as they burst forward on the restart, Dave Tarpey heading wide and Hyde's backheel just faiing to send Glen Rea clear.
But we came back and on 60 minutes went 3-0 up. After McCrory's low strike was cleared by Ross' foot, we won a free kick which Booty stood up to the back post. It was cleared to Richard Brindley, who fired it back into the area and Thomas turned the ball home.
Woking refused to give up and Notts survived a barrage of free kicks and corners, with referee Gary Parsons unmoved by several penalty appeals.
McCrory was booked for a foul and theresultant free kick from the right was cleared off the line, but from this we went four up in the 73rd minute. The ball fell to Boldewijn, who raced clear on the left and coolly slotted home his second goal of the game.
Slocombe fell on the ball after a goalmouth scramble following a Woking corner before Shields replaced Thomas with ten minutes to go.
Late on, Loza had the ball in the net for Woking but his effort was ruled out for offside.
And we saw the game out in relative comfort to move seventh in the table with the division's best goal difference.

Advertisement block