Notts County midfielder Michael Doyle believes the completion of the club’s takeover should draw a line under what he admits has been a ‘tough’ summer.
Christoffer and Alexander Reedtz acquired the club from Alan Hardy on Friday after a lengthy period of uncertainty for everyone connected with the Magpies.
But Doyle says it’s time to look forward now the new men are at the helm.
“The massive thing about the takeover is that there are no excuses anymore,” he said. “We can get our heads down, concentrate on football and get this club back in the Football League, where it belongs.
“Last year was tough but in a strange way I think it’s brought everyone together – fans, players and staff – and we’ve got to use that as motivation so we can reward everyone for their efforts and support.”
Despite the club’s difficulties over the summer, Doyle and his team-mates have remained committed to the cause.
And the 37-year-old, who boasts a long and established career in the EFL, says it never crossed his mind to move on.
“For me personally, when we went down it was so tough – but I never thought about leaving the club so I could stay in the League,” he said.
“I came back in and felt like I wanted to be part of taking this club back up, because you certainly feel responsible for it going down.
“I know how big Notts is and I didn’t want to step in when I did only to run away if the worst happened.
“I wasn’t making any phone calls to get out, I was just hoping the takeover could get done as quickly as possible.
“Now we’re hopefully in a position where the owners and the manager can add a few players as they see fit and we can kick on.”
There’s only one week to go until the 2019-20 season kicks off! Click here for season ticket details.