Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Reserves beaten by Bournemouth in final

Strong showing ends in defeat to the Cherries

24 April 2019

Match Reports

Reserves beaten by Bournemouth in final

Strong showing ends in defeat to the Cherries

24 April 2019

Notts County were beaten 2-0 by AFC Bournemouth in the final of the Central League Cup on Wednesday afternoon.

Tyrell Hamilton got both goals for the Premier League side, though the Magpies will wonder what might have been after giving Mark Travers a busy afternoon in the visitors' goal.

Notts started brightly and Kion Etete won a free-kick on the edge of the area in the fifth minute after going down under challenge from Nnamdi Ofoborh. Dan Jones could only find the wall with his effort, however.

Steve Chettle's side were matching their Premier League opponents and it wasn't until 20 minutes had passed that Bournemouth created their first real openings as Kyle Taylor volleyed a Gavin Kilkenny delivery over the bar, before Etete was in action at the other end to charge down a Brennan Camp effort. 

Just before the half-hour mark, the Cherries went as close to opening the scoring as either side had when Jaidon Anthony cut in off the left wing to whistle an effort just over the frame of Max Culverwell's goal.

Notts responded with an effort off the woodwork as Shaun Brisley went up for a corner and met Will Patching's inswinging delivery at the back post, only to see his header drop onto the crossbar.

Moments later, however, the Cherries had the advantage. Anthony again proved to be a handful and his weaving run gave him space to shoot at Culverwell - the stopper got down to his left to push the ball away, but only as far as Hamilton who turned home from seven yards out.

The rest of the half was played out without too much incident but that wasn't the case in the opening exchanges of the second period as Cedric Evina's cross almost snuck in at Travers' near post within a minute of the restart, before the Cherries doubled their lead.

Hamilton was again the man on target as he beat Culverwell to Taylor's pass into the area and skipped past the keeper. His bobbling shot wrong-footed the Notts defenders who raced back to the goal line and nestled in the corner.

The Magpies needed a quick response and they would have got it but for an excellent save from Travers. The chance came folllowing good work from Etete, which allowed the ball to run for Campbell on the edge of the area and the striker unleashed a fierce effort that looked destined for the top corner - the Cherries keeper made the flying stop, though.

The second half's opening exhanges had more action than the entirety of the first period, and the visitors were within a whisker of a third on 53 minutes when Ofoborh hit a sweetly-struck effort inches past Culverwell's post from 20 yards.

It was far from one-way traffic, however, and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain bombed on from full back to lift a cross towards Etete but the striker couldn't keep his header down.

Moments later it was his fellow frontman who went close following a strong tackle and pinpoint pass from Osborne - Travers kept Campbell's shot out but the flag was raised against the forward.

Two Bournemouth chances followed in quick succession and they were ruing miscued efforts on both occasions. First Hamilton spurned the chance for his hat-trick as he failed to connect properly with a low cross, before Ofoborh sliced a shot after finding space from a corner and Anthony couldn't extend his leg far enough to turn the ball home. 

Notts were swiftly back on the front foot and, just shy of the hour mark, Campbell looked to use his marker a a screen to bend the ball into the far corner but Travers was able to hold on to the shot.

Sam Osborne was next to test the Cherries keeper after dancing along the byline before sending in a low effort. Travers pushed it out towards the penalty spot and Bournemouth managed to scrambled clear. 

Notts were looking threatening and on 72 minutes Etete flashed an effort over after showing excellent control to set Evina's pass into a perfect position for him to shoot. 

Magpies skipper Declan Dunn was forced off with a knock and Corey Bucalossi replaced him as the game entered the final quarter of an hour, where Brooklyn Genesini got forward from right back to send a speculative effort narrowly over for the visitors.

Notts were finding chances harder to come by until, in the 82nd minutes, Etete battled well with his man to latch onto a ball lifted into the area, but didn't connect with his volley and Travers easily gathered.

In the last minute of the 90, Genesini again got forward to shoot with power, this time findng the target and Max Culverwell was called into a fine save to turn the ball over. He had a more routine stop to make from the resultant corner and comfortably denied Anthony at his near post.

Campbell's cross was turned behind in the second of five minutes of stoppage time, but that was to be the last action of note and Bournemouth went on to lift the trophy. 

Notts: Culverwell, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Betts, Brisley, Jones, Osborne, Patching, Dunn (C) (Bucalossi 74'), Evina, Campbell, Etete.

Subs not used: Brooks, Kennedy-Williams, Wilde, Cummings.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop