Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 4-0 Notts

Winning run comes to an end

20 October 2018

Match Reports

Bury 4-0 Notts

Winning run comes to an end

20 October 2018

Notts County's three-match winning run came to an end as they suffered a 4-0 defeat at Bury.

First-half goals from Nicky Maynard and Cameron Telford fired the hosts into a comfortable lead before Jay O'Shea (pen) and Nicky Adams added gloss to the scoreline after the break.

Harry Kewell made one change to the team that beat Macclesfield in the Magpies' last league outing a fortnight ago.

Shaun Brisley made way for Nathan Thomas as the boss opted for a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Elliott Hewitt sitting behind a midfield four of, from left to right, Nathan Thomas, Lewis Alessandra, Kane Hemmings and Enzio Boldewijn.

Bury started the stronger of the sides, though, and shortly after Cedric Evina made a crucial block to divert Danny Mayor's shot over, the hosts had the lead.

It came courtesy of Maynard, who slid in to turn Callum McFadzean's low cross home from six yards.

Most of Bury's threat was coming from down the left courtesy of the fleet-footed Mayor, who played a big part in his side's second goal on 19 minutes as his run and cross resulted in Telford rolling the ball home following a scramble.

Notts were in trouble and saw two half-chances go begging when Hemmings failed to connect properly with Thomas' cut back moments before Hewitt's low, driven effort was blocked en route to goal.

The Magpies' frustration was evident and Hewitt let it show with a lunge on Mayor which earned him the game's first booking.

Hemmings moved into a more advanced role behind Stead as half-time approached but Notts continued to struggle to trouble their hosts' defence.

And, after Maynard bent an effort over the bar and Mayor saw yellow for a cynical trip on Thomas, the referee called time on a disappointing opening 45 minutes.

Kewell made a double substitution at the break, sending David Vaughan on for Hewitt and Kristian Dennis on for Hemmings.

Evina whistled a long-range effort a yard-or-so wide on 51 minutes as the Magpies resumed their search for the game's next goal.

Nine minutes later, Ross Fitzsimons could only parry Mayor's cross into the middle of his area but thankfully a Notts defender was on hand to clear.

The Magpies responded by winning a corner and Jamie Turley was unfortunate not to halve the deficit after slipping his marker and seeing his diving header blocked. Boldewijn's 20-yard effort moments later was comfortably held by Shakers stopper Joe Murphy.

But any glimmer of hope Notts had of mounting a comeback was extinguished when Tootle was booked for bringing Telford down in the area, allowing O'Shea to make it three from the penalty spot on 65 minutes.

A Neil Danns effort was saved low down by Fitzsimons shortly before Evina was booked for a physical challenge on Adams.

Tootle then saw a speculative effort nodded over his own crossbar by Maynard as the clock ticked down towards full-time.

But there was still time for another goal as, with three minutes left on the clock, Adams ghosted in from the right and curled an excellent effort off the post and into the net.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop