Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnsley 4-0 Notts

Magpies bow out at first-round stage

10 November 2018

Match Reports

Barnsley 4-0 Notts

Magpies bow out at first-round stage

10 November 2018

Notts County were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup at the hands of Sky Bet League One high-flyers Barnsley.

All four of the hosts' goals came after a first half in which Notts contested evenly with the Tykes.

But Barnsley's quality showed after the break as Cauley Woodrow, Zeki Fryers, Brad Potts and Kieffer Moore all scored to send their side into the second-round draw.

Harry Kewell named an unchanged team following Tuesday night's draw with Oldham Athletic. That meant Kristian Dennis continued up front in the continued absence of injured duo Jon Stead and Kane Hemmings.

Dennis was paired up top with Enzio Boldewijn as Harry Kewell opted for a 4-4-2 formation, with Nathan Thomas and Lewis Alessandra on the wings and Rob Milsom partnering Elliott Hewitt in the middle.

There was one change on the bench as the returning Dan Jones replaced fellow full-back Matt Tootle.

Barnsley claimed the first meaningful shot of the day on eight minutes when Moore latched on to a lobbed ball into the penalty area before side-footing it over on the volley.

Minutes later, Woodrow's blocked shot forced Shaun Brisley to clear the ball over his own crossbar.

It wasn't all one-way traffic in the opening exchanges, though, as a speedy Boldewijn break resulted in the ball being laid on a plate for Thomas on the edge of the area. The winger could only scuff it wide with his right foot.

Ross Fitzsimons stood firm at his near post to keep a fierce Woodrow shot out and dived to his left to hold on to Mamadou Thiam's curling effort as the hosts pressed on in their search for the opening goal.

Rob Milsom wrote his name into the referee's notebook for a late lunge in midfield and Thiam saw a shot comfortably saved as the clock ticked down towards half-time.

And there was nearly a memorable end to the half when Jamie Turley, playing right back once more, sent the ball wide with a an overhead kick following a Notts set piece.

It should have been 1-0 to the hosts at the break though as, shortly before two minutes were added on at the end of the first half, Fryers cut the ball back for Moore near the penalty spot. The rangey forward blazed it over to the disdain of the home support.

There were no changes for either side at the break but the hosts wasted no time in altering the scoreline as Woodrow latched on to Potts' looping ball into the area, smashing a shot beyond the helpless Fitzsimons.

And there was nothing the keeper could do to prevent the hosts doubling their lead shortly afterwards when Fryers converted Potts' low cross from the right with an excellent first-time finish.

Thiam almost got in on the action with an hour gone, stinging Fitzsimons' palms with a fiercely-struck shot, before Kewell made a double substitution on 72 minutes. 16-year-old forward Kion Etete replaced Dennis and Jones took Thomas' left-wing spot.

It should have been 3-0 moments later, Potts turning Moore's low cross wide at the far post.

But the same pair combined with a much more successful outcome soon afterwards, Potts tapping the ball into an empty net to put the game well out of reach.

Fitzsimons made an excellent save to deny substitute Mike Bahre following a pacey counter-attack but was left helpless once again as Moore added a fourth, nodding home a left-wing cross from two yards out.

Declan Dunn replaced Cedric Evina for his senior debut and Fitzsimons made two more excellent saves, both from Moore, before three added minutes were indicated.

But there were to be no more goals as Notts' FA Cup campaign came to an immediate end.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop