Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Notts 0-0 Wycombe

Points shared at the Lane

30 March 2018

Match Reports

Report: Notts 0-0 Wycombe

Points shared at the Lane

30 March 2018

Notts County drew 0-0 with promotion rivals Wycombe Wanderers at M

The Magpies hit the post either side of the break but were unable to find a goal to narrow the gap between themselves and the third-placed Chairboys.

Kevin Nolan made two changes to the side that faced Chesterfield on Sunday.

Dan Jones, who scored a free-kick that day, replaced Carl Dickinson, while Jorge Grant made way for Lewis Alessandra.

Terry Hawkridge claimed the game's first notable opportunity, skidding the ball low along the damp surface and drawing a strong save from goalkeeper Scott Brown.

Notts went even closer seven minutes later when Shola Ameobi prodded the ball against the post after latching on to Hawkridge's cross.

Adebayo Akinfenwa fired wide from inside the area before Joe Jacobson and Nathan Tyson entered the referee's notebook for fouls as heavy rain came down.

Notts had penalty appeals waved away as the half neared its conclusion, Ameobi going down under the challenge of Adam El-Abd.

The referee was unmoved, however, and sent Nolan to the stands for his protestations.

Wycombe were forced into a first-half change when Tafari Moore limped off with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Michael Harriman.

And Notts nearly took the lead a minute later when the ball dropped nicely for Matt Tootle in the area. His fierce shot, bound for the top corner, was excellently saved by Brown.

There were no half-time changes for either side and the rain continued to fall as the two promotion contenders locked horns once more.

Chairboys keeper Brown was booked for timewasting before Hawkridge had his name taken for a foul in the centre circle.

Substitute Harriman fired an effort over and Wycombe saw a goal ruled out for offside before Hawkridge made way for Grant shortly after the hour.

Shaun Brisley was the next man into the book, seeing yellow shortly after Matt Bloomfield and Sido Jombati had both sent efforts off-target for the visitors.

Akinfenwa had been kept relatively quiet until the 79th minute, when he forced Collin into an excellent low save moments before rolling an effort wide of the near post.

But it was Notts who would come closest in a cagey second half, Hewitt heading the ball against the post after leaping well to meet Jon Stead's cross. The midfielder could only turn the ball wide on the rebound.

It was looking increasingly likely that the game would end goalless, Liam Noble seeing yellow before Akinfenwa sent another effort wide.

The fourth official indicated there would be six minutes of added time, during which Ameobi and El-Abd were booked following an altercation.

But neither side were able to find the breakthrough as the spoils were shared at a soggy Meadow Lane.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop