Supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Notts County Football in the Community are running a project that aims to answer some important questions about the Magpies’ unrivalled history.
Notts boast a fascinating story packed with great names and good times.
And project lead Steve LeMottee is excited to learn even more about the club’s past.
"It's the ups and downs, famous names and unsung heroes that make the Notts County story so interesting,” said Steve. “It's a real people story, which is why we'd like today's supporters to suggest how it should be celebrated and shared.
"We're keen to have a conversation with anybody who's got some interesting Notts County memorabilia. You needn't have a complete set of programmes or a pair of Tommy Lawton's boots! We'd like to talk with anybody who's got something interesting, or who's got items that have stories attached to them.
"The full story goes beyond just the football club. It includes County's former ground, other clubs, sports and activities at Meadow Lane, Football in the Community and much more."
The project aims to answer the following questions:
- What historic material does the football club own?
- What Notts-related heritage items do other people and organisations have?
- How could the club’s heritage be better protected and shared, so that more people can enjoy it?
Those behind the project are keen to hear from you about:
- Your ‘Notts County collection’. For example, you might have a collection of programmes, replica kit, fanzines, scrapbooks, t-shirts, former players’ shirts or boots...in fact, anything to do with Notts County! Free, expert advice is available regarding how you might keep your collection so that it lasts as long as possible, while you could also be put in touch with other collectors of Notts County heritage items.
- Your ideas about how Notts’ history could be told and shared. Any ideas are welcome – particularly those that involve supporters and give them the chance to share their stories and memories.
Supporters who would like to learn more or contribute to the project should email firstname.lastname@example.org.