Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Notts 1-1 Forest Green

Milsom rescues a point for the Magpies

7 October 2017

Rob Milsom scored deep in second-half injury time to earn Notts County a point against Forest Green Rovers this afternoon.

Omar Bugiel's close-range first-half finish looked to have won it for Rovers but, inside five minutes of added time at the end of the match, Milsom headed home a dramatic equaliser.

Kevin Nolan made one change to the side that faced Mansfield Town last weekend, Terry Hawkridge replacing Lewis Alessandra down the right.

The first action of note saw Richard Duffy enter the referee's notebook following a foul on Luke James with only three minutes on the clock.

It was Jonathan Forte's turn to be fouled moments later, presenting Notts with the first chance of the game in the shape of a Carl Dickinson free-kick 25 yards out. The full-back, who scored his first goal for the club with a similar effort at Mansfield, bent the ball narrowly wide of the near post.

Another early booking followed, with Drissa Traore punished for a pull-back on Forte, before Lee Collins also saw yellow 10 minutes later when he hauled back Jon Stead after the forward dispossessed him near the byline.

The game's cagey start almost brought a bizarre goal for Notts on 23 minutes' when Roberts' header skidded past Rovers keeper Sam Russell and narrowly wide of his own post.

But, three minutes later, it was the visitors who took the lead when Christian Doidge bustled his way into the area before seeing his low cross turned home at the back post by Bugiel.

The sides traded tentative blows in the hunt for the next goal before Adam Collin had to tip the ball wide from James' diving header.

Stead saw an effort saved by Russell's legs before referee Lee Probert called time on a frustrating first half for the Magpies.

Nolan's men reemerged unchanged and immediately set about restoring parity, Jorge Grant skewing an effort wide after good work from Forte and Stead.

Nolan's first change came just before the hour as Alessandra replaced Hawkridge.

Forest Green were holding firm, denying Notts any clear goalscoring opportunities. Forte chanced his arm from range on 65 minutes but his low, left-footed effort was blocked by a defender en route to goal.

Shola Ameobi replaced Stead in Nolan's next switch, with Elliott Hewitt coming on for Ryan Yates minutes later.

As time ticked by, Charlie Cooper saw a well-struck effort pushed behind by Collin after the ball had swirled through the wind and rain. Collin was caught in no man's land from the subsequent corner but the visitors were unable to capitalise.

Notts were struggling to carve the visitors open and, when they did thanks to an incisive pass from Grant, Ameobi was unable to pick out a team-mate in the middle.

Ameobi came within inches of equalising with three minutes remaining when he sent the ball agonisingly wide with an instinctive header from Grant's cross.

But, thankfully, that wasn't to be Notts' final chance. Five added minutes were indicated and Notts took advantage, Matt Tootle standing the ball up in the middle for the unmarked Milsom to head it down on to the skiddy surface and beyond Russell.

The crowd spurred Notts on for more but time ran out, forcing Nolan's men to settle for a point.

Advertisement block