Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Youth Cup: Chesterfield 3-1 Notts

Young Magpies well beaten by the Spireites at the Proact Stadium

2 November 2017

Match Reports

FA Youth Cup: Chesterfield 3-1 Notts

Young Magpies well beaten by the Spireites at the Proact Stadium

2 November 2017

Notts County exited the FA Youth Cup at the first round stage with a 3-1 defeat at Chesterfield.

Three first-half goals did the damage at the Proact Stadium with Iffy Ofoegbu's early strike giving the hosts the perfect start.

Following a spell of Notts pressure, an own goal clipped the Magpies' wings and Joel Phillips' stunning effort on the stroke of half-time gave the home team a three-goal advantage at the break.

Alex Howes' goal in the 80th minute was little more than a consolation.

In the opening stages Chesterfield's Charlie Wakefield saw a 25-yard free-kick palmed around the post by goalkeeper Curtis Hall as the Spireites looked to make the most of home-field advantage.

But there was little the stopper could do to prevent the hosts from taking the lead two minutes later.

A slack backpass allowed Luke Rawson a sniff of goal and, after rounding Hall, the striker's cross was cleared as far as Robbie Foster, who saw his shot blocked.

However, the danger had not been cleared and Ofoegbu arrowed a first-time shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Notts responded with captain Declan Dunn advancing from midfield and firing narrowly over the crossbar before Henchcliffe hit the post with a side-footed effort from 12 yards.

And, just minutes after the Magpies had seen a header hacked off the line from a corner, they were hit by a sucker punch as Foster's low cross from the Chesterfield left was turned into his own net from close range by a Notts defender.

Henchcliffe had another effort deflected past the post and Dunn forced home stopper Brad Jones into action with a free-kick which the goalkeeper did well to tip over.

The hosts extended their lead further when Phillips lashed in spectacularly from 30 yards to make it 3-0 heading into the break.

It almost became 4-0 shortly after half-time as Phillips collected the ball from a corner but saw his low shot cleared off the line by a Notts defender.

County substitute Zhenyu He curled over from 20 yards and Remaye Campbell planted a header straight at the goalkeeper from Howes' cross as they searched for a route back in to the game.

Henchcliffe was a constant threat for Simon Clark's men and stung the palms of Jones with a shot from 25 yards which the goalkeeper did well to parry away from danger.

Kion Etete saw a looping header clip the top of the crossbar but Notts did get a goal back in the 80th minute.

Hencliffe was again involved as his shot was deflected off the bar but it fell kindly for Howes, who composed himself and slotted into the bottom corner to reduce the deficit.

Dunn's 30-yard shot was brilliantly tipped over by Jones as Notts could not muster a comeback as they fell at the first hurdle.

Notts: Hall; Newell, Ebanks, Betts, Kennedy-Williams; Howes, Henchcliffe (Ramirez, 81'), Dunn, Lambert (He, 59'); Campbell, Etete.
Subs not used: Culverwell, Lathall, Robinson.

Image courtesy of Tina Jenner.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop