Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County v Yeovil Town

25 February 2017

Match Reports

Notts County v Yeovil Town

25 February 2017

Report: Notts 0-0 Yeovil

Notts County were held to a 0-0 draw against Yeovil Town at Meadow Lane.

The Magpies dominated the vast majority of the game but were unable to find a way past Darren Way's stubborn Glovers.

Kevin Nolan was forced to make one change to the team that beat Leyton Orient last week. The suspended Richard Duffy, who collected his 10th booking of the season in east London, made way for Haydn Hollis.

Jorge Grant kept his place in right midfield and soon set about trying to score his third goal in as many games, curling a shot towards Artur Krysiak's near post with seven minutes on the clock. The Polish stopper dived to his left to make the save.

Matt Dolan's long-range half-volley whistled a couple of yards over the angle of post and crossbar as the visitors looked to assert their authority but it was Notts who were making most of the early running.

Grant tried his luck again, flicking Rob Milsom's corner over the bar from six yards with an inventive side-footed effort.

And the Forest loanee was involved once again on 38 minutes, linking up nicely with opposite wideman Mark Yeates. The Irishman's low, deflected effort was saved low down by Krysiak.

Liam Shephard sailed the ball over the bar with a 25-yard free-kick and Kevin Dawson entered the referee's notebook for a late challenge on Shola Ameobi before Eddie Ilderton called time on a goalless first half.

There were no changes for either side at the break and, shortly after play resumed, Hollis nodded the ball wide from Milsom's corner.

Milsom had a chance of his own on 57 minutes when Yeates' corner was half cleared to the edge of Yeovil's area. The chance fell on the midfielder's weaker right foot and he could only guide the ball high and wide.

Grant saw a shot deflected into the side-netting and Hollis' header was diverted just wide of the post as Notts ramped up the pressure on their visitors.

And Nolan's men continued to dominate after the hour, Jon Stead flicking the ball cutely on for Yeates whose shot from a tight angle was palmed away by Krysiak before being turned behind. From the subsequent corner, Hollis did well to get his foot to the ball but could only guide it wide.

With 16 minutes to play, O'Connnor curled the ball over the bar with a first-time effort after Ameobi had released Stead into the right-hand channel.

Despite Notts' dominance, time was running out. Former Yeovil loanee Tahvon Campbell replaced Yeates with seven minutes to play as Nolan looked to give his side some fresh impetus in attack.

And the Magpies carved out yet another opportunity shortly afterwards, Marc Bola playing in Ameobi down the left. The former Newcastle man whipped the ball into the middle and Stead got there just in time to meet it with his head but couldn't keep the ball down.

Notts were nearly hit with a sucker punch with two minutes of normal time to play when Alex Lawless found space in the area before forcing an excellent save from Adam Collin - the keeper's first real test of the match.

And that proved to be the final opportunity of the game as Notts had to settle for a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop