Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wycombe 2-4 Notts

Duffy, O'Nien (OG), Forte and Alessandra hand Notts a dramatic victory

19 August 2017

Match Reports

Wycombe 2-4 Notts

Duffy, O'Nien (OG), Forte and Alessandra hand Notts a dramatic victory

19 August 2017

Notts County picked up a first away win of the season with a 4-2 victory over Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park.

Richard Duffy's opener had Notts ahead before Luke O'Nien's own goal doubled the advantage to have the Magpies 2-0 up at half-time.

But the hosts rallied in the second half and hauled themselves level through Nick Freeman and Joe Jacobson.

However, two substitues made the difference as Jonathan Forte nodded in to restore the lead before Lewis Alessandra sealed the three points with his first goal for the club.

Kevin Nolan opted to make only one change from Saturday's League Two victory over Chesterfield, Jorge Grant replacing the bench-bound Lewis Alessandra.

Notts nearly made the dream start to the match when Shaun Brisley's header looked destined for the net, only for Michael Harriman to make an incredible goalline clearance with his head.

The visitors had begun the game in superb style, Jorge Grant and Jon Stead both sending efforts over before Notts took a deserved lead.

Fittingly, the goal came from Duffy on his 50th appearance for the club when he flicked a header home from Dan Jones' excellent free-kick.

And the Magpies' joy was doubled in bizarre fashion a minute later when Adam El Abd's attempted clearance cannoned into O'Nien, ricocheting the ball into the Wycombe net.

Jones went into the book on 27 minutes for a foul on O'Nien and Duffy had to be on hand to hack the ball clear after Paul Hayes tried to scramble it home as the hosts sought a way back into the match.

But it was so nearly 3-0 Notts when another dangerous Jones delivery caused chaos in the middle and Hawkridge saw his effort cleared off the line.

A Harriman attempt was comfortably saved by Adam Collin, who was also making his 50th Notts appearance, and Adebayo Akinfenwa headed the ball over from Matt Bloomfield's cross as half-time approached.

Inside two added minutes, Ameobi had a penalty shout waved away after he appeared to be pushed in the back while chasing a ball over the top.

And there was still time for O'Nien to fire the ball goalwards from 25 yards for Collin to catch, ensuring his side went into the break two goals to the good.

That advantage didn't last long after the restart, however, as the hosts pulled a goal back on 49 minutes. The ball fell to half-time substitute Freeman in the area, who stroked it into the top corner superbly.

Notts were now in a battle to keep their lead and it showed when Terry Hawkridge and Ryan Yates required treatment for head injuries during the same stoppage. Both were deemed fit to continue.

Debutant Craig Mackail-Smith, who was also introduced at the break, missed a golden chance to equalise for the hosts when he nodded the ball straight at Collin from an unmarked position eight yards out.

Stead then had a chance of his own when the ball dropped for him on the edge of the six-yard box but Chairboys defender Sido Jombati positioned himself well to make the block.

Akinfenwa volleyed the ball wide on the stretch as the hosts continued to press for an equaliser.

And their efforts were rewarded on 68 minutes when Jacobson curled home a spectacular 25-yard free-kick via the inside of Collin's post.

Forte replaced Stead as the hosts celebrated, with the game now anyone's.

Wycombe were determined to make the three points theirs and Dominic Gape's well-struck effort soared over the crossbar shortly before Akinfenwa nodded the ball just wide.

Alessandra replaced Hawkridge in a like-for-like swap on the right wing as Nolan looked to freshen up his attacking options.

But it was Notts' earlier sub who grabbed the headlines when, on 84 minutes, he outleapt everyone in the area to nod the ball home after Ameobi had kept Jones' free-kick alive.

It was Notts' to lose once more but they put the game to bed once and for all with a minute to play when, after Forte had come agonisingly close to doubling his tally, hitting the post and scuffing the rebound along the goalline, Alessandra smashed the ball home in front of 362 jubilant travelling Magpies.

Ameobi was booked for overexuberant celebrations and was immediately replaced by Alan Smith.

And that was to be the final action of a frantic - but successful - afternoon in Buckinghamshire.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop