Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County v Cambridge United

22 November 2016

Match Reports

Notts County v Cambridge United

22 November 2016

Notts County 0-1 Cambridge United

Notts County were beaten 1-0 by Cambridge United at Meadow Lane.

Conor Newton's neat first-half finish was enough to hand the Us victory. 

John Sheridan made five changes to the side that lost against Newport County at the weekend.

The manager opted for a 3-5-2 formation, bringing Mike Edwards, Elliott Hewitt, Alan Smith, Michael O'Connor and Jonathan Forte into his starting line-up.

Haydn Hollis, Graham Burke, Adam Campbell and Aaron Collins were named among the substitutes.

The visitors made a bright start to the match, Uche Ikpeazu firing wide before marauding left back Greg Taylor was off-target when he latched on to an incisive Luke Berry pass.

Notts' first shot came from Forte, who cut in from the left and struck the ball over from range. Carl Dickinson was off-target with a cross-cum-shot shortly afterwards.

But it was Cambridge who took the lead when, on 26 minutes, Ikpeazu's strong run to the edge of the area allowed him to slip Newton into the area. He composed himself before rolling the ball low to Adam Collin's left and into the net.

Ikpeazu was proving himself a threat and O'Connor was booked for fouling him with half an hour gone.

Notts, however, were on the front foot in their search for an equaliser and, after Snijders' deflected shot just evaded Forte in the middle, the Dutchman had a gilt-edged chance to equalise.

He robbed Mark Roberts of possession and comfortably beat the defender for pace to race through one on one with Us keeper will Norris. After taking time to compose himself, however, he could only roll the ball wide.

Cambridge thought they'd doubled their lead shortly before the break when Roberts reacted quickest to turn home a bouncing ball in the area, only for the assistant to raise his flag for offside.

And the visitors ended the half in the ascendancy when, after Louis Laing's speculative 30-yarder flew over, Ikpeazu outmuscled Richard Duffy and looked certain to score only for Edwards to make an excellent last-ditch challenge to quell the danger.

There were no changes at the break and the sides exchanged glancing blows in the early stages of the second half, Milsom seeing a shot deflected wide before Piera Mingoia flashed the ball over the bar after a Cambridge counter attack.

Matt Tootle replaced Smith in Sheridan's first change, shortly before Aaron Collins came on for Edwards.

Notts were struggling to create clear-cut chances and it was Cambridge who next went close, Ikpeazu spinning in the area before firing the ball narrowly over.

Rob Milsom entered the referee's notebook on 76 minutes, shortly before Campbell replaced Hewitt.

Time was ticking down for the Magpies and another half-chance came and went when O'Connor saw a shot loop up off a defender and straight at Norris.

Then, with injury time looming, Collins went agonisngly close when the ball dropped for him six yards out. Between them, Cambridge's defenders on the line and their goalkeeper somehow managed to block the loanee's shot.

Four minutes were added on at the end of the match, during which Cambridge keeper Norris was booked for time wasting, but there proved to be no way back for Sheridan's men.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop