Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County v Boreham Wood

15 November 2016

Notts County 2-0 Boreham Wood

Notts progressed to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-0 victory over Boreham Wood in a replay at Meadow Lane.

Jonathan Forte's emphatic first-half finish was matched by an excellent Aaron Collins strike with the last kick of the game. 

John Sheridan made four changes to the team that lost at Blackpool on Saturday. Out came Michael O'Connor, Elliott Hewitt, Alan Smith and Matt Tootle, making way for Graham Burke, Stanley Aborah, Genaro Snijders and Rob Milsom.

The Magpies started the game strongly, Burke seeing a shot saved and Adam Campbell firing the ball wide in the opening five minutes.

Boreham Wood's first meaningful shot came on 15 minutes when Anthony Jeffrey cut in from the right before firing a long-range effort over Adam Collin's crossbar.

But, after Aborah had sent a shot narrowly wide, Notts took the lead on 24 minutes when the Wood defence failed to deal with a bouncing ball over the top. Forte anticipated the mistake and struck the ball into the far corner from a tight angle.

Visiting keeper Grant Smith saved Burke's long-range effort before the half-time whistle was blown, and there were no changes for either side at the interval.

The two teams exchanged minor blows in the early stages of the second period before Notts came close to doubling their lead just after the hour. Campbell and Forte played a one-two on the edge of Wood's area before the former saw his shot pushed away by Smith.

Boreham Wood's response came from Bruno Andrade shortly afterwards as he fired the ball wide from range.

Sheridan made a double change on 84 minutes, sending Collins and Alan Smith on for Snijders and Adam Campbell.

Visiting skipper Mark Ricketts and Aborah both fired over from range before substitute Jamie Lucas headed the ball straight at Collin in stoppage time.

But Notts would have the final say, Collins pinging the ball off the underside of the bar and over the line from just outside the area.

That was the last kick of the match as Notts set up a second-round home tie against Peterborough United.

Advertisement block