Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Boreham Wood v Notts County

6 November 2016

Boreham Wood 2-2 Notts County

Adam Campbell came off the bench to fire in a brace and keep Notts County in the Emirates FA Cup as the Magpies drew 2-2 at Boreham Wood.

The hosts had taken the lead shortly after the half-hour through Morgan Ferrier, who wriggled free of his marker to calmly slot the ball into the bottom corner before the lead was doubled by Angelo Balanta at the start of the second half.

It seemed as though Notts would lose to non-league opposition for the second successive year but Campbell had other ideas, curling the ball home from 25 yards to reduce the deficit and equalising with a close-range header from Carl Dickinson's corner to ensure Notts' name would be in the draw for the second round.

Campbell had been dropped to the bench by manager John Sheridan along with Jonathan Forte, while Richard Duffy missed out through suspension. The trio were replaced in the starting 11 by Matt Tootle, Michael O'Connor and Vadaine Oliver.

Notts threatened early on with Rob Milsom curling the ball over the bar from a neat lay-off by Aaron Collins, before Mark Ricketts volleyed over at the other end after the Magpies failed to clear a free-kick.

It was the hosts who would take the lead after 31 minutes when Ferrier raced on to a through ball and shrugged off Louis Laing before rolling the ball past Adam Collin in the Notts goal.

Sheridan's side came close to levelling when Tootle hit a fierce drive from 20 yards that had to be palmed behind by goalkeeper Grant Smith.

The manager made a double change at half-time in an effort to alter the game, bringing on Campbell and Forte for Alex Rodman and Jordan Richards.

However, the Pies soon found themselves 2-0 down when Balanta was given too much time and space inside the area, allowing the attacker to take a touch and slam the ball past Collin to double the hosts' lead.

Oliver flicked a header wide from Collins' cross as Notts looked to give themselves a lifeline.

And they got it just before the hour as Campbell collected a loose ball and curled home from 25 yards to halve the deficit.

The Wood could have made the game safe when they broke quickly from a Notts corner with a five-on-two advantage but Balanta could only fire wide with the goal at his mercy.

And, with only eight minutes left on the clock, Notts drew level through Campbell's second of the afternoon, a neat cushioned header from a Dickinson corner.

There was plenty of time left to win the game and the Magpies thought they had done so when Oliver turned home Forte's poked cross from six yards.

But the linesman's flag was raised, meaning the sides will meet again at Meadow Lane in a replay.

Notts: Collin; Tootle, Laing, Hollis, Dickinson; Rodman (45'), O'Connor, Richards (Forte 45'), Milsom (Hewitt 73'); Collins, Oliver.
Subs not used: Loach, Smith, Burke, Snijders.

Attendance: 1,201.

Advertisement block