Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County vs Carlisle United

7 May 2016

Notts End Season With Defeat

Notts ended their Sky Bet League 2 campaign with a 5-0 defeat at home to Carlisle United.

The home side had a good chance to take the lead with just three minutes on the clock, Genaro Snijders’ cross was over hit, but Jon Stead was able to pick it up in the left channel before sending a cross back into the box to Snijders, but the winger couldn’t get his strike away when well placed.

A minute later and Carlisle had the lead. Mike Edwards tussled with the Carlisle striker in the penalty area, the ball falling fortunately to Alex Gilliead who drilled it into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Jabo Ibehre went close for the visitors in the next attack, but the striker just couldn’t find the touch to turn the ball into the net from close range.

It was Ibehre again who could have added a second in the 19th minute, but he sent his towering header just wide at the far post when well placed.

Notts had their best chance of the opening half an hour in the 25th minute as Stead’s strike stung the palms of Mark Gillespie in the Carlisle goal, Wes Atkinson arriving quickest to the rebound but Gillespie was up quickly to deny him.

However, in the 28th minute the visitors doubled their lead. Ibehre broke down the right side of the area, pulling the ball back to the edge of the box where Danny Grainger side footed his shot past Carroll and into the bottom right corner.

There was still hope for Notts, Graham Burke’s 25 yard drive looked to be heading for the corner, only for a strong two handed save from Gillespie to deny the midfielder.

Five minutes before half time, Ibehre did find the net. Haydn Hollis’ clearance only went as far as Jason Kennedy who raced down the right hand side of the box before squaring to the striker who poked past Carroll.

Notts made a double change at half time, Thierry Audel and Izale McLeod came on to replace Mike Edwards and Alan Smith.

Notts had the first action of the second half, Wes Atkinson winning a corner for the home side. 

Burke’s corner was cleared at the near post and Carlisle almost added a fourth on the counter attack.

The ball was played to Gilliead who raced clear, rounding Roy Carroll but Blair Adams was on hand to clear his shot off the line.

In the 53rd minute, Jon Stead almost stole in behind the visiting defence to pull one back for Notts County, Gillespie just getting there in time to claim the ball.

A minute later and Carlisle added their fourth of the afternoon. Hallam Hope crossed from the right of the box to the six yard box where Ibehre bundled in his second of the game.

Substitute Derek Asomah almost added a fifth for the visitors, knocking the ball past the defence before driving at goal, but Roy Carroll was equal to the effort and made the save down low.

However, with ten minutes left, the visitors did add their fifth goal. Charlie Wyke was first to Hollis’ back pass, beating Carroll and rolling the ball into the back of the net.

Snijders almost found a consolation for Notts, turning quickly in the box, but his goal bound effort was blocked by a sliding defender.

Gillespie was on hand again in the 90th minute to deny Notts a goal, Izale McLeod meeting Stead’s low cross six yards out, but the keeper made a smart range from close range.

Carlisle broke following McLeod’s shot, Derek Asamoah finding space on the left of the box, cutting back before curling an effort off the inside of the far post, the ball falling safely into the arms of Carroll on the goal line.

This was to be the last action of the match, the referee blowing for full time shortly afterwards.

Team: Carroll, Adams, Smith (Audel 46’), Hollis, Snijders, Hewitt, Valencic, Burke (Campbell 65’), Atkinson, Stead, Edwards (46’)

Unused Subs: Loach, Amevor, Boyce, Wildin

Att: 5.405 (710)

Advertisement block