Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/03/2016

28 March 2016

Notts and Wycombe in Goalless Draw

Mark Cooper made five changes to the team which lost 4-0 at Portsmouth on Good Friday; Adam Campbell, Graham Burke, Wes Atkinson, Thierry Audel and Mike Edwards all coming into the starting line up.

It was a bright opening for the hosts, who won a corner in the first minute. Liam Noble took the set piece, which was cleared at the near post. 

Adam Campbell had a good chance to put Notts ahead just two minutes into the match, racing clear down the left of the box but Ryan Allsop was quick off his line to deny the striker.

Still inside the first five minutes, it was Campbell again causing problems playing on the shoulder of Aaron Pierre, the centre back recovering well to deny the forward a clear shot at goal.

Ten minutes gone and Campbell won another corner, this time playing the ball off Anthony Stewart. Liam Noble took the corner short to Graham Burke, his ball back to Noble was blocked by the referee, Burke striking the loose ball towards goal but Allsop collected down low.

Former Notts man Garry Thompson won a corner for Wycombe in the 17th minute, Pierre rising highest but he couldn’t direct his header towards goal. Curtis Thompson and Pierre clashed heads following the header, both players walking off unaided after a lengthy delay.

Burke flashed a shot just wide of Allsop’s left hand post following the delay, before the keeper just reached a long ball forward as Jon Stead had looked to get there first.

Scott Loach was called into action for the first time shortly after, adjusting well to keep out Stewart’s 30-yard free kick which had taken a wicked deflection.

Just past the half hour mark and County should have been in the lead, Jon Stead broke clear of Stewart, his heavy touch fell through to Campbell but the former Newcastle man couldn’t finish, Pierre getting back to block the shot.

It was still Notts who looked the most likely to break the deadlock, a clever corner from Noble went low into the box where Stead met it, his shot looked to be going in, only for Campbell to inadvertently block the effort six yards out.

Burke and Noble linked up well five minutes before the break, Noble back heeling the ball to Thompson on the edge of the area, the midfielder cut inside his man but curled his shot well wide of the target.

As we entered the five minutes of stoppage time, Notts again came close to taking the lead. Thierry Audel was found in space down the left, his low cross was just missed by Stead who would have almost certainly have scored if he could have made contact.

The final effort of the half fell to Burke, who ran onto Campbell’s lay off, but his dipping shot flew over Allsop’s bar.

Notts had the first effort of the second half, again just clearing the crossbar as Stead met Noble’s cross but the tall striker couldn’t get it on target.

It was Noble again creating the chance soon after, his deep cross found Haydn Hollis at the back post, but the centre back couldn’t keep his header down.

There was almost a scare for the home side in the 50th minute, Loach was out quickly to thwart Garry Thompson, his clearance bouncing off the striker but it went harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

After a lull in play, where Wycombe looked to take a hold of the game, Pierrie had a good chance at the back post, Burke doing well to block the central defender's shot, Loach then reacting well to save Hayes' volley in the follow up.

Mark Cooper made a double change in the 68th minute, Ronan Murray and Izale McLeod replacing Jon Stead and Adam Campbell up front for the hosts.

The changes put Notts back in the ascendency, Ronan Murray almost capitalising on a mix up in the Wycombe defence after they had failed to deal with Noble's cross.

Notts had the chance to take all three points in the 84th minute, Noble played substitute McLeod through on goal, the striker lobbing the ball over Allsop, but just wide of the right hand post.

The home side made their final change in the 85th minute, Genaro Snijders coming on to replace Graham Burker, who looked to have picked up a knock a few minutes earlier.

As the game entered three minutes of stoppage time, Snijders won Notts a free kick wide on the right hand side. Liam Noble's ball was met by Hollis six yards out, Allsop diving to his right to make a spectacular one handed save to keep the scores level.

That was to be the last chance of the game, Notts and Wycombe sharing the points.

Team: Loach, Hollis, Thompson, Noble, Campbell (Murray 68'), Burke (Snijders 85'), Atkinson, Stead (McLeod 68'), Audel, Aborah, Edwards

Subs not used: Pilkington,  Milson, Hewitt, Banton

Att: 4,452 (579 Away)

Advertisement block