Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/03/2016

19 March 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 19/03/2016

19 March 2016

Notts Defeated at Home

Notts fell to defeat as three second half goals punished the home side. Jayden Stockley had given the visitors the lead inside ten minutes, Izale McLeod cancelling out the strike before half time. However, three quick second half goals sealed the victory for the away side who take all three points back to Exeter.

The away side took the lead after eight minutes, with the first shot on target. Lee Holmes found space on the left, crossing left footed to Jayden Stockley who beat his marker to head past Scott Loach into the top corner.

Notts were forced into an early change, Blair Adams, who had missed the trip to Yeovil with a knock, was replaced by Rob Milsom the full back being forced off with an injury.

Elliott Hewitt did will to win a corner 18 minutes in, picking up Jason Banton’s deep pass before playing it off the full back. The corner found Andrew Boyce 15 yards out, but his volleyed effort flew harmlessly over the bar.

Shortly after, Jon Stead picked up the game’s first caution, catching Christian Ribeiro late as the ball fell lose on the edge of the area.

Notts were seeing more of the ball, but were failing to create a clear opening. Good work from Alan Smith in the 24th minute created a chance for Liam Noble, but the midfielder curled his effort just wide of the far post.

And it was Noble who could have found the equaliser for Notts. Smith again was the instigator, finding Stead 40 yards out, the striker’s quick flick finding Noble on the left hand side of the box. The midfielder showed great composure to beat the first defender, but he couldn’t beat Bobby Olejnik with his effort, the keeper getting a strong hand to the ball.

The home side got the equaliser they had deserved just after the half hour mark. Banton’s cross from the right was met by Izale McLeod, Olejnik did well to save his first effort, but the striker followed up to drive the ball home.

The home side continued in the ascendancy with their possession, but couldn’t find the chance to take the lead, the teams going in level at the break.

Notts started the second half the brightest, Jon Stead with a rasping drive from twenty yards which struck the crossbar and flew clear, Olejnik appearing to get fingertips on the drive.

Goalscorer for the visitors Stockley almost broke clear ten minutes after the interval, Curtis Thompson cynically fouling the goalscorer, Thompson picking up a yellow card for his effort, Hewitt was covering at the back, preventing the midfielder getting his marching orders.

Scott Loach kept the scores level with a superb reaction stop on the hour mark. Stockley’s shot was deflected by Hewitt, Loach adjusting well to parry away the effort.

Home manager Jamie Fullarton made his second change of the match with 25 minutes left on the clock, Adam Campbell replacing Jason Banton on the right wing. 

Just seconds after coming off the bench Jake Taylor put the away side back in front. His mazy run found him through on goal, sliding the ball past the onrushing Loach and into the net.

In the 71st minute it was 3-1. Christian Ribeiro, who appeared to clearly be standing in an offside position, tapped in a corner at the far post.

Shortly after the away side netted their fourth. Ollie Watkins latching onto a clearance outside the box to drive past Loach into the bottom right hand corner.

Adam Campbell drove an effort wide from 25 yards as the game entered stoppage time, but Notts Couldn’t fashion a goal to get themselves back into the game and the match ended with Exeter taking all three points.

Team: Loach, Adams (Milsom), Smith, Thompson, Noble, Hewitt, Boyce, Banton (Campbell), Stead (C), Audel, McLeod

Att: 3,813 (346 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop