Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts Defeat Blackburn Rovers In Final Pre-Season Friendly

31 July 2016

Match Reports

Notts Defeat Blackburn Rovers In Final Pre-Season Friendly

31 July 2016

Notts County ran out 1-0 winners today at Meadow Lane against Blackburn Rovers, in our final pre-season friendly before the 2016-17 season begins.

It was a very strong performance against a young Blackburn side, with the Magpies dominating long periods of the play and having the better of the exchanges and chances.

It was Blackburn who started the brighter of the two teams, trialist El-Bakhtoui received the ball with 5 minutes gone on the edge of the box and his drive was inches over Adam Collin's crossbar.

Some fantastic work on the right wing from Genaro Snijders won Notts a corner on 9 minutes, with Hollis getting to the resulting ball into the box but he was unable to direct his header goalwards.

A minute later Hollis was involved again. His perfectly weighted left foot ball over the top found Adam Campbell, who ran into the box and his right footed effort appeared to strike a Blackburn hand but his appeals were waved away by the referee.

On 14 minutes there was a let off for Notts, as El-Bakhtoui's cross was deflected just wide of the post.

Notts went ahead on 27 minutes. Snijders again working well down the flank, and his pin-point cross found Adam Campbell in the middle. His first touch was sublime, beating his man, before half-volleying past Raya in the Blackburn goal via the underside of the crossbar.

It was nearly 2-0 on 30 minutes. Snijders forced the defence to put the ball behind and from the resulting corner, both Hollis and Duffy were arriving in the middle, missing them both by the finest of margins.

Alex Rodman was next to threaten the Blackburn goal, fantastic work from Aborah who had the vision to play the reverse ball into the former Newport man, but his goalbound shot was blocked by the defender.

It was to be the last action of the match for Aborah, forced off through injury to be replaced by Graham Burke.

It was Notts who went into the break ahead, and deservedly so.

On 55 minutes, Platt floated a free kick in for Blackburn but Adam Collin did well to punch clear.

Three minutes later, Graham Burke tried his luck from distance but it was straight down the throat of keeper Raya.

Alex Rodman and Matt Tootle were then replaced by Alan Smith and Wes Atkinson, with Genaro Snijders leaving the field of play soon after to be replaced by Jon Stead. Stead received a fantastic reception from Rovers' fans, with the striker having previously been a fan favourite at Ewood Park.

On 69 minutes Richard Duffy's lofted ball was looking for Stead but it had too much pace on it and Raya claimed well.

More subs followed, Mike Edwards coming to replace Richard Duffy, with Scott Loach replacing Adam Collin in the Notts goal.

With the game slowing down, Hollis was given a warning from the referee on 78 minutes after a heavy challenge in the centre of the pitch.

Chances were few and far between, but on 82 minutes Adam Campbell's right footed corner was met by the head of Hollis, but his effort was blocked three yards from goal by the defender. 

Jordan Richards then replaced Elliott Hewitt, who had had a good game. 

On 88 minutes, a Notts corner was cleared only as far as Wes Atkinson on the edge of the penalty area, but his effort lacked venom and accuracy. 

It proved to be the final action of the game, as the referee blew for full time dead on 90 minutes. 

Attendance: 1,411 (135 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop