Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Peterborough United v Notts County

13 December 2016

Match Reports

Peterborough United v Notts County

13 December 2016

Match report: Peterborough 2-0 Notts County

Notts County exited the Emirates FA Cup after losing 2-0 at Peterborough United in a second-round replay.

Goals inside the opening eight minutes from Gwion Edwards and Paul Taylor won the match for the hosts.

Notts saw a Jon Stead penalty saved and Jonathan Forte hit the bar as the Magpies sought a way back into the game.

But Posh held on to their lead to claim victory.

John Sheridan, who hours before kick-off was handed a five-match touchline ban, made three changes to the team that faced Colchester on Saturday.

Scott Loach replaced Adam Collin in goal, while Haydn Hollis and Alan Smith also came in, replacing the bench-bound Elliott Hewitt and Carl Dickinson.

The FA Cup excitement was palpable inside the ABAX Stadium but Notts' hopes of progressing to face Chelsea were dealt a blow inside two minutes when the unmarked Edwards headed home Michael Smith's cross from six yards.

And Notts' difficulties were doubled six minutes later when Taylor was afforded too much room to run into before curling the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

The Magpies needed a quick response and they nearly produced one when Stead's shot deflected off Rob Milsom and just wide of the post.

Notts kept up their pressure, Forte seeing a shot blocked before forcing a good save from Luke McGee minutes later.

Jordan Richards was next to have a go, benefiting from good interplay between Smith and Stead to unleash a shot from the edge of the area. McGee reacted quickly to tip the ball over.

Posh were forced into a change on 35 minutes when Taylor hobbled off to be replaced by Bradden Inman.

And the home side had their hearts in their mouths before the break when, after Forte had flicked the ball on, Stead was felled by McGee in the area.

Stead took the penalty, stroking the ball towards the bottom-left corner, but McGee guessed the right way and made the save. He parried the ball back into Stead's path but the forward's shot deflected up off Michael Bostwick and over the bar.

Notts had another chance to halve the deficit from the subsequent corner but Hollis couldn't turn the ball home from a tight angle.

Both sides reemerged for the second half unchanged and, shortly after the restart, Hollis had to make an important block to deny Shaquile Coulthirst after he had linked up nicely with Leo Lopes.

Notts' response came from Stead, who volleyed the ball low towards goal after it fell to him from Smith's free-kick. McGee did well to make the save with his legs.

Adam Campbell replaced Richards on 58 minutes and, straight after play resumed, Forte was played in over the top. McGee began to come out to challenge but was left stranded as Forte lobbed the ball over him. Unfortunately, it came back off the crossbar and Posh cleared the danger.

Minutes later, Peterborough's Tom Nichols had a one-on-one situation of his own but Loach was out quickly to quell the danger.

The Notts keeper was called into action again moments later, diving to his left to push Bostwick's header to safety.

Sheridan's second sub saw Stead replaced by Vadaine Oliver on 68 minutes.

Two Posh chances followed, Coulthirst firing the ball straight at Loach and Nichols curling it over with his left foot.

Aaron Collins came on for Smith shortly afterwards but Posh continued to press, Nichols seeing another two opportunities flash wide of Notts' post.

As the clock ticked down, McGee was equal to Rob Milsom's excellent long-range strike, tipping the ball over.

Three minutes were added on at the end of the match but Notts were unable to spark their own revival, exiting the FA cup at the second-round stage.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop