Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County v Wycombe Wanderers

10 December 2016

Notts County 0-2 Wycombe

Ten-man Notts County were beaten 2-0 by Wycombe Wanderers at Meadow Lane.

The visitors took the lead late in a first-half dominated by Notts, Adebyo Akinfenwa's header beating Adam Collin.

Michael O'Connor saw red after lunging in on Paris Cowan-Hall in first-half injury time and Wycombe doubled their lead shortly after the break when Scott Kashket, who appeared to be offside, made it two. John Sheridan was sent to the stands after remonstrating with the decision.

Akinfenwa picked up his second yellow card late on but Notts were unable to capitalise.

Sheridan made two changes to the side that drew with Peterborough in the Emirates FA Cup last weekend. Jon Stead, who came off the bench against Posh, was named in the starting 11 for the first time since injuring his ankle against Crewe in mid-October.

Haydn Hollis also came into the line up, with Graham Burke and Vadaine Oliver dropping to the bench.

A head injury to Richard Duffy on ten minutes punctuated what was a quiet opening to the game but, after the Welshman received treatment, Notts started to get a hold on the match.

Their first chance came on 16 minutes when right midfielder Matt Tootle played a one-two with Adam Campbell and was given space to shoot 20 yards out. He struck the ball just wide with his left foot.

Tootle turned provider shortly afterwards, slotting an incisive pass for Stead after the front man slipped his marker. He struck the ball sweetly across goal and just past the top corner.

Stead was in the thick of the action again two minutes later when he did brilliantly to work himself space for a cross down the right. Jonathan Forte met the ball at the near post with a neat flick but couldn't direct it goalwards.

Notts had the ball in the net two minutes later when Forte latched on to Stead's through ball, rounded the keeper and rolled it home. The referee's assistant, however, ruled the goal out for offside.

The visitors had to wait until the 31st minute to create their first chance of the match, Kashket showing excellent feet to check inside from the left. His low shot took a big deflection off O'Connor and the ball, thankfully for Notts, rolled wide.

Wycombe were starting to apply some pressure however and, moments after Richard Duffy had made an excellent last-ditch tackle to deny Matt Bloomfield, the visitors took the lead when Akinfenwa nodded home Joe Jacobson's cross from the left.

Michael Harriman sent the ball over with a free-kick shortly before four minutes of added time were indicated.

And a frustrating half was compounded when, shortly after Akinfenwa had sent the ball dipping over the bar, the Magpies were reduced to 10 men.

O'Connor was the man to go after sliding in on Paris Cowan-Hall near the touchline. The Notts skipper was shown the red card while receiving treatment following the challenge.

The second half began with two bookings - Duffy for dissent then Akinfenwa for a foul.

Adam Campbell was replaced by Vadaine Oliver shortly afterwards, before Wycombe doubled their lead in controversial fashion.

Cowan-Hall appeared to trip a Notts defender on his way into the area before squaring for Kashet, who looked suspiciously offside, to tap the ball into an empty net.

County's remonstrations saw Sheridan sent to the stands and Carl Dickinson booked.

Stead made way for Richards on the hour before Aaron Collins replaced Forte on 69 minutes.

On 77 minutes the numbers were balanced when referee Eddie Ilderton dismissed Akinfenwa. The big forward was given his second yellow card following an aerial collision with Duffy on 77 minutes.

But Notts were unable to pull a goal back and the game ended 2-0 to the visitors.

Advertisement block