Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Notts County v Peterborough United

4 December 2016

Notts County 2-2 Peterborough United

Notts County came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Peterborough United in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup at Meadow Lane.

Leo Da Silva and Gwion Edwards fired the visitors into a two-goal lead before Adam Campbell halved the deficit.

Lee Angol saw red for Peterborough just before the break after lashing out at Matt Tootle and Notts dominated the second half, creating numerous chances.

It looked like their equaliser would never come but, with the game in second-half stoppage time, Louis Laing equalised from a corner to keep the Magpies' third-round hopes alive.

John Sheridan made two changes to the side that faced Barnet last weekend as Graham Burke and Rob Milsom returned to the starting line-up. Genaro Snijders dropped to the bench, while Mike Edwards was absent from the squad.

Jon Stead was named on the bench for the first time since injuring his ankle against Crewe in mid-October.

Peterborough had the dream start when, on 3 minutes, Da Silva gave them the lead. The ball dropped to him after Notts failed to clear a corner and the Portuguese 18-year-old struck it sweetly into the bottom corner.

Campbell missed a gilt-edged chance to equalise six minutes later when he turned the ball wide from two yards after Burke's dangerous free-kick was flicked on at the near post.

Notts were nearly made to pay for that missed opportunity when Da Silva, followed by Michael Bostwick, sent efforts off-target when well placed.

But Posh did extend their lead on 15 minutes when Edwards lashed the ball home following excellent work from Paul Taylor down the left.

Frustrations were running high for Notts, who saw their skipper Michael O'Connor booked for a cynical foul on Andrew Hughes.

The Northern Irishman led the charge for a Notts goal, seeing his 30-yard free-kick saved low down by Posh keeper Luke McGee, before Burke fired the ball wide from 20 yards with a well-struck effort.

Notts continued to press, Vadaine Oliver heading over from Jonathan Forte's cross before Da Silva was off-target following a Posh counter attack.

McGee made a save for the cameras when he plucked Campbell's volley out of the air with an acrobatic dive.

But there was nothing the keeper could do to stop the former Newcastle man's next effort, Campbell controlling the ball neatly on his chest before sweeping it into the bottom corner from the edge of the 'D'.

The game was now swinging in Notts' favour and their hopes of progression were given another boost during three minutes' injury time when Posh were reduced to ten men. Angol was the man to walk for lashing out at Tootle after the pair had battled for possession near the touchline.

There were no changes at the break and Burke missed Notts' first chance of the second half, firing the ball over after knocking it out of his feet 20 yards out.

The Magpies then came within inches of an equaliser on 52 minutes when Forte's sidefoot volley from Carl Dickinson's cross went just wide.

Dickinson was the provider again two minutes later, producing another inch-perfect cross. This time, Oliver headed the ball narrowly off-target.

Notts kept up their pressure and saw another effort go wide when Campbell's cross-cum-shot sailed across the face of goal and past the far post.

And the ball took the same path moments later, O'Connor's fiercely-struck volley carrying just too much pace for Burke who was unable to turn the ball home at the back stick.

Posh were under the cosh and their goalkeeper McGee was booked for timewasting five minutes before he did well to push O'Connor's powerful free-kick away from danger.

Sheridan made his first change on 72 minutes, sending on Stead. He replaced Burke shortly before Oliver, who was booked in the first half for blocking McGee's throw, made way for Aaron Collins.

Time was beginning to run out and, when McGee made a strong save at his near post to deny Campbell with 11 minutes to go, it looked like Posh would progress to round three.

There was still time for another scare, Collins crashing the ball off the bar following a scramble in the Peterborough area before Richard Duffy saw his header diverted over by Bostwick.

Five minutes were added on at the end of the match and, finally, the equaliser came for Notts.

Peterborough failed to clear from a corner and Laing bundled the ball home to set up a replay at ABAX Stadium.

Advertisement block