Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/09/2015

29 September 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 29/09/2015

29 September 2015

REPORT: Dagenham & Redbridge (A)

Ricardo Moniz named an unchanged side as Notts County went in search of their third win on the bounce, their first on the road in four league games. However, despite claiming their first away point since the first game of the season, Notts weren't able to claim all three as Jodi Jones' strike from distance cancelled out Adam Campbell's first half strike. The visitors had a chance to win it late on, but Izale McLeod saw his penalty saved by Liam O'Brien in the Dagenham and Redbridge net.

It was the hosts who had the first attack of the game. A free kick from wide on the Daggers' left went towards the back post, Ayo Obeileye miscontrolling the ball, but the referee had already blown his whistle for a foul.

The ever hard working Adam Campbell was causing Dagenham left back Joe Widdowson problems with his closing down, the Newcastle academy product dispossessing Widdowson twice before surging into the box, Clevid Dikamona doing well to halt his progress.

Just past the half hour mark, Graham Burke came close to break the deadlock. He dummied a pass back to Noble, turning his marker before curling a left foot effort just wide of Liam O'Brien's right hand post.

One minute later and Notts were in the lead. Adam Campbell broke free on the left, sprinting into the box unchallenged before sliding the ball inside the far post for his first goal for the club.

County were finding joy down the left hand side and Graham Burke came close to creating a second goal in the 35th minute, his driven cross was palmed away by O'Brien with Kane Ferdinand reacting quickest to clear, before Noble could get a finishing touch.

The goal kicked the visitors into life, Noble's deep free kick from the left hand side was almost converted by Mike Edwards, O'Brien just beating him to the ball to punch clear.

Izale McLeod tried his luck from 35 yards, however his shot was always curling away from goal and din't trouble O'Brien in the home side's net.

It was still down the left hand side where Notts were creating most of their attacks. Alan Sheehan and Graham Burke playing a neat one-two before the full back's run was blocked, Jodi Jones on the receiving end of referee Ian Williamson's first caution of the night.

The official had his book out again from the resulting free kick. Liam O'brein rising highest to claim the ball, goalscorer Campbell preventing the 'keeper taking a quick kick from his hands, Campbell also receiving a caution.

Six minutes into the second half, County had their first forage forward, Izale McLeod winning a free kick on the right hand side halfway into Dagenham's half. Burke's free kick went deep to the back post, but no one could get a touch and O'Brien claimed the ball.

Shortly after, Ashley Hemmings won the home side a free kick 35 yards out, the winger going over Stanley Aborah's outstretched leg, the midfielder picking up his seventh caution of the season. Centre half Obileye drove the set piece straight into the wall, the ball coming back to the defender but his follow up flew wide.

A quick throw from Elliot Hewitt just after the hour mark, found Campbell in space, the striker's shot deflecting for a corner. Graham Burke took the corner, the ball missing Haydn Hollis at the back post and bouncing out for a goal kick.

Adam Campbell came close to a second as the game entered the final 20 minutes, Hewitt's cross falling to the striker but his half volley was beaten away by O'Brien in the Daggers' net.

Seconds later and the hosts were level. Jodi Jones went on a solo run down the right hand side, cutting in on his left foot before curling an effort over Roy Carroll and into his top right hand corner.

Moniz reacted to the equaliser by replacing Graham Burke with Jack Barmby, the midfielder almost immediately getting on the end of Adam Campbell's floated cross, the ball just evading the loanee.

The game was opening up, Dagenham substitute Ashley Chambers finding space in the box, but his vicious drive was blocked in a crowded box.

It was just a minute later and Chambers almost had the home side in front, with a carbon copy of Jones' opener, the ball beating Carroll but cannoning off the crossbar and falling clear.

County had a golden chance to gain the lead in the 79th minute. Smith fed the ball into Barmy in the box, the midfielder going down under Dikamona's challenge, the referee pointing straight to the spot. Izale McLeod stepped up and sent the ball to the goalkeeper's right, O'Brien guessing the right way and parrying the ball to safety.

That was McLeod's last action of the match, Ricardo Moniz replacing him with Jon Stead. Shortly afterwards Julian Jenner replaced goalscorer Adam Campbell.

Substitute Jon Stead almost won the game for the visitors in the 90th minute. Barmby's ball to the striker was overhit, but Stead turned on the edge of the area and curled a first time effort past O'Brien, only to see the ball hit the inside of the post and deflect back across goal and out for a goal kick.

Deep into stoppage time, Liam Noble's corner kick was punched back to the midfielder by O'Brien, Noble crossing back in to Hollis who could only flick the ball wide. There wasn't time to take the goal kick and the referee blew for full time, Jodi Jones' 30 yard effort cancelling out Campbell's opener for a share of the points.

Notts: Carroll (C), Smith, Hollis, Noble, Hewitt, Campbell (Jenner 82), Burke (Barmby 74), Aborah, Edwards, McLeod (Stead 81), Sheehan

Subs not used: Loach, Thompson, Swerts, Sprockel

Goals: Campbell (34),

Attendance: 1327 (203 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop