Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 26/09/2015

26 September 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 26/09/2015

26 September 2015

One goal enough for another home win

Izale McLeod's goal gave Notts County a fourth successive home win as the Magpies beat York City 1-0 at Meadow Lane.

The striker pounced on an error from York goalkeeper Scott Flinders to roll into an empty net and that goal was enough for victory as the Magpies registered a second league win in a row and a first clean sheet since the opening day victory at Stevenage.

Ricardo Moniz made just one change from the team which started the 4-1 win over Crawley Town earlier in the week with Alan Sheehan starting at left back following his return to the club on loan from Bradford City whilst Jack Barmby, who also moved to Meadow Lane on loan this week, was named on the bench. 

Mike Edwards, a two-goal hero from Tuesday night, retained his place in the starting line-up along with Alan Smith as Moniz stuck with experience over youth. 

Notts started on the front foot and could have opened the scoring within two minutes as Graham Burke played a beautiful pass with the outside of his boot into the path of McLeod, who couldn't lob the ball over the advancing goalkeeper. 

Liam Noble, scorer of two goals in midweek, saw a low driven shot blocked by Dave Winfield and Alan Smith's volley was easily held by York goalkeeper Scott Flinders as the early pressure showed no sign of abating.

McLeod saw two more opportunities come his way, the first after controlling Adam Campbell's floated pass but poked wide of the target whilst he put an effort into the side-netting at the near post from Burke's drilled cross a minute later.

The striker got the goal he deserved after 12 minutes. Flinders raced from his goal to meet Noble's flighted ball forward but missed his clearance completely, leaving McLeod with the simple task of rolling the ball into an open goal for his fourth goal of the season.

Notts continued to pile forward with Burke blasting narrowly wide from distance before his free-kick was nodded over from close-range by Haydn Hollis.

York finally threatened after spending all but a small fraction of the opening half defending. James Berrett lashed a shot at goal from 20 yards, only to find Roy Carroll in top form to tip the effort over.

Winfield headed wide from the corner and McLeod put a half-volley over the crossbar at the other end.

Noble went close with a screamer from 30 yards which whistled past the post and Sheehan was also off-target as he stretched to get a shot away.

Carroll then produced a superb one-handed save as a York free-kick was flicked towards goal, though the linesman had raised his flag for offside.

Edwards headed wide from Noble's delivery at the end of the half as Notts took just a one-goal advantage into the break despite their dominance.

Josh Carson hit a free-kick straight into the wall as the visitors looked to get back on level terms in the opening stages of the second half.

Edwards came close to adding his fourth goal of the season from central defence when he got on the end of Noble's free-kick but saw his header hit the post before putting the rebound over the bar.

Noble's raking pass set McLeod free and the frontman tumbled in the area after seemingly being clipped by Winfield but referee Eddie Ilderton wasn't interested in the claims for a penalty.

Emile Sinclair had a rare sight of goal for York but rolled a weak shot straight into the gloves of Carroll.

Aborah stole the ball from Berrett in midfield and drove forward before smacking a shot wide from 20 yards.

Barmby replaced Burke on the hour for his County debut as Moniz's team looked for a second goal to give County some breathing space.

Campbell almost took advantage of indecision by Keith Lowe to score his first goal for the club since his summer move from Newcastle United, but saw his shot tipped wide by Flinders.

Lowe then shot wide from range whilst Berrett hooked over the bar from the edge of the area and Thompson shot wide from an angle as the visitors came forward in search of an equaliser.

Visiting substitutes David Tutonda and Anthony Straker both arrowed a shot into the side-netting but Notts held firm to grind out a 1-0 victory which leaves them 13th in the League Two table ahead of the trip to Dagenham and Redbridge on Tuesday night.

Notts: Carroll; Hewitt, Edwards, Hollis, Sheehan; Aborah, Smith; Campbell, Noble (Thompson, 86), Burke (Barmby, 60); McLeod. 
Subs not used: Loach, Sprockel, Jenner, Stead. 

Attendance: 5,159 (752 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop