Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

RESERVES: Chesterfield 3-5 Notts

4 November 2015

Club News

RESERVES: Chesterfield 3-5 Notts

4 November 2015

Notts County reserves recorded their sixth successive win of the season, coming out of a topsy-turvy contest with a 5-3 victory against Chesterfield at the ProAct Stadium.

Richard Dryden's side were made to work hard for the result, coming from 3-1 down to put four unanswered goals past the Spireites.

It was an open game from outset as striker Byron Harrison tried to lob goalkeeper Scott Loach from 20 yards but the effort drifted wide of the target. The striker saw another effort smothered by the shot-stopper a minute later after breaking clear of the defence.

The Notts 'keeper was busy early on, palming a Mani Dieseruvwe free-kick wide after Haydn Hollis fouled Gboly Ariyibi in a promising position.

After soaking up the pressure, the Magpies took the lead when Jimmy Spencer's neat lay-off was caressed into the far corner by Colby Bishop from the edge of the penalty area.

Spencer went close to doubling the lead with a stinging drive which was tipped over the bar by home goalkeeper Alex Cairns before the hosts brought themselves level shortly afterwards.

The experienced Harrison found space between County's central defenders to meet Rai Simons' cross with a powerful header which found the far corner past Loach's despairing dive.

The goalkeeper then saved brilliantly from Dieseruvwe's shot on the turn eight yards out whilst Spencer and Harrison both put headers wide of the target for their sides.

With first-team manager Dean Saunders watching in the home dugout, the Spireites struck a quick-fire double to take control of the contest.

It was Dieseruvwe who got both with a pair of headers. The first was similar to Harrison's goal as the striker found space to crash Ollie Banks' cross beyond Loach before nodding in his second when left unmarked from a corner.

Banks then scored himself from a free-kick routine, but was offside in the build-up and County immediately went up the other end to reduce the arrears.

Lartey Sarpong's inswinging cross looked destined for Spencer's head until home defender Jake Hudson beat the striker to the ball, diverting it past Cairns to make the scoreline 3-2.

Chesterfield almost extended their lead through Harrison, who saw his close-range header parried away by Loach as the hosts took a one-goal lead into the half-time interval.

Wes Atkinson fired wide from the edge of the area in the opening stages of the second period before Notts hauled themselves level.

Substitute Ronan Murray floated a cross to the back-post where strike-partner Spencer headed back across goal and into the far corner to reignite the partnership which was so fruitful in the 2013/14 season.

Within minutes, Dryden's side had taken the lead. A flowing move involving Bishop, Atkinson, Genaro Snijders and Spencer ended with Sarpong smashing home from 12 yards.

Dieseruvwe wasted a chance to secure his hat-trick, heading wide in acres of space in front of goal and his profligacy was punished in stunning fashion by Atkinson.

The full-back, who had been moved into midfield for the second half, found space 25 yards out to curl a superb first-time shot past Cairns from Snijders' cut-back - a goal sure to impress manager Ricardo Moniz, who was watching from the stands at the ProAct.

Loach saved from Banks, Liam O'Neil and Jake Orrell as the home side tried to find a way back into a contest which had been taken away from them by Notts' ruthlessness in front of goal.

However, Dieseruvwe crashed a shot against the bar with the last chance of an exiting encounter as Notts continued their perfect record in impressive fashion.

Notts: Loach; Atkinson, McKenzie (Wildin, HT), Hollis, Sharpe; Snijders (Gibson, 82), Sarpong, Milsom, Valencic (Murray, HT); Bishop, Spencer.
Subs not used: Parkes.

Scorers: Bishop, Hudson (OG), Spencer, Sarpong, Atkinson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop