Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Oldham Athletic 3 Notts County 0

31 January 2015

Oldham Athletic 3 Notts County 0

COMPETITION | Sky Bet League 1
SCORERS | Elokobi (30), Morgan-Smith (32), Forte (73)
ATTENDANCE | 3,493 (261 away)
REFEREE | Peter Bankes (Merseyside)

Notts suffered a disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of Oldham Athletic on Saturday.


George Elokobi opened the scoring for the home side, heading from close range past Roy Carroll.


Two minutes later, Oldham doubled their lead, Amari Morgan-Smith was played through one on one with the keeper, and kept his cool to place the ball into the far corner.


In the second half, former Notts striker Jonathon Forte added a third, heading in from the six yard box with acres of space.


Notts did had chances, Will Hayhurst with a freekick forcing Jake Kean into a magnificent stop, whilst Haydn Hollis had a header cleared off the line, but they could find the net as they suffered a 3-0 defeat.


Four changes were made by Magpies’ manager Shaun Derry following the 2-1 defeat to Peterborough last weekend. Coming into the side for the trip to Oldham were Mustapha Dumbuya, Jordan Cranston, Liam Noble and new signing Kaiyne Woolery, replacing Hayden White, Blair Adams, Alan Smith and Billy Daniels.


Jordan Cranston was back in the side for the first time since the end of November in the 1-1 draw with Sheffield United. Liam Noble returned from his two match suspension he picked up during the 2-1 win against Crewe. New loan signing Kaiyne Woolery was put straight into the side after joining Notts from Bolton earlier in the week. On the bench, Kwame Thomas was back in the squad following his bizarre dismissal at Doncaster.


Oldham had the first shot on goal of the afternoon after three minutes. A patient build up play eventually fell to Brian Wilson on the edge of the box. He hit his shot first time, but it went wide of Roy Carroll’s goal. Dominic Poleon had a chance moments later, but he blazed his shot over from close range.


Down the other end, some nice play between the Notts forward line led to the ball being played in from the left. The ball was crossed for the far post and Balint Bajner was stretching, but the ball only skimmed his head as it was just out of his reach for him to get any significant contact on it.


Notts had a freekick on the edge of the box after a high foot on Bajner. Hayhurst stood over it and his effort forced Jake Kean into an excellent save. His strike was going in over the keeper, but Kean did well to deny him. Another freekick from further back was lofted in by Liam Noble, Haydn Hollis got there, but his header was scooped up by Kean.


Notts were having all the chances at this point. Will Hayhurst intercepted a pass on the left and burst forward with the ball. His options were limited as he reached the box, so went for goal himself, the effort well blocked for a corner.


Down the other end Oldham took the lead, Carl Winchester drove the home side forward and earned them a corner. Notts cleared the initial danger, but the ball was swung back into the box and met by George Elokobi, who nodded it in to give them the lead.


Shortly after, Oldham doubled their lead. A pass to Amari Morgan-Smith was played through the entire Notts defence and left one on one with Carroll. The Oldham striker kept his cool and placed the ball into the far corner.


Notts tried to get back at the home side. A great cross field pass from Garry Thompson played Will Hayhurst in acres of space on the left. He crossed the ball for Bajner and after a mix up in the Oldham defence the ball found its way to Garry Thompson.


Thompson played it back to Bajner who couldn’t connect properly with the ball as it was scuffed wide of goal.


Notts were only inches away from pulling a goal back on the brink of half-time. Will Hayhurst with the corner, he put in a dangerous cross and Hollis got a head to it, but his effort was cleared off the line and the ball was bundled out for another corner.


HT: Oldham Athletic 2 – 0 Notts County


Notts came out for the second half with energy and intent, and with Kwame Thomas on to replace Garry Thompson. Bajner played Hayhurst into the box and the left winger crossed it for Kwame Thomas. Thomas got a touch on the ball and flicked it wide. The Derby loanee nearly had another chances moments later, as he nearly nipped in on goal, but Jake Kean got there first and gathered up the loose ball. Hollis had a chance from a corner but headed over from close range at the near post.


Down the other end Roy Carroll made an excellent to save to deny the home side from going 3-0 up. Curtis Thompson lost the ball to Jonathon Forte on the edge of the box, Forte played it across to Dominic Poleon who was in clean on goal. Carroll closed the space down in a flash to deny Poleon from extending the lead.


Roy Carroll then made a number of fantastic stops moments later, first he denied Poleon again when he was in on goal, closing the space down. Next, he got across well to tip wide a shot from Carl Winchester. Oldham then hit the crossbar, Jonathon Forte with the overhead kick as it crashes onto the crossbar before Notts cleared the ball.


A freekick from deep nearly got Notts a goal back, Noble floated the ball into the box, and Hollis was there and he looked to be in, but good defending from Oldham turned the ball behind for another corner.


Down the other end, Carroll made another save, this time to deny Daniel Philliskirk. Notts let the ball bounce, and let Philliskirk in, he went for the far post and Carroll got across brilliantly to keep Oldham from scoring another. Hayden Mullins was there to tidy up the rebound.


Former Notts striker Jonathon Forte had looked dangerous since his introduction and put the home side 3-0 ahead. The ball was played across on the left by Connor Brown for Forte to head home from close range. The striker was in plenty of space and it was an easy finish for the striker.


The final ten minutes went by with very little action. Oldham continued to press the Notts defence, but failed to find a way through. The final chance of the game fell to Curtis Thompson, but his shot from distance went well wide, meaning the game finished 3-0 to the home side.

FT: Oldham Athletic 3 – 0 Notts County


The new signing looked a constant threat for the Magpies. Starting the game up front, he showed the Notts fans what pace he had in his locker early on. 

In the second half, he was moved onto the right and gave Connor Brown plenty to think about. 

On a number of occasions, the Bolton loanee took on the left-back, got past him onto the by-line and looked for an option in the box. There should be more to come from the young forward.

Oldham Athletic: Kean, Brown, Elokobi, Kelly ©, Jones, Poleon (Mellis, 63), Philliskirk, Winchester (Dieng, 79), J Wilson, B Wilson, Morgan-Smith (Forte, 43)
Substitutes: Rachubka, Dieng, Forte, Mellis, Lockwood, Kusunga, Turner

Notts County: Carroll, Dumbuya, Mullins ©, Hollis, Hayhurst, G Thompson (Thomas, 45), C Thompson, Noble, Woolery, Bajner (Daniels, 67), Cranston
Substitutes: Pilkington, Adams, Smith, Thomas, Jones, Daniels, Edwards

Look out for full reaction and post-match highlights on Magpie Player. 

Advertisement block