Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/12/2015

15 December 2015

Match Reports

Match Report : 15/12/2015

15 December 2015

Resolute County Claim Away Point

Notts County secured their fourth away draw of the season against tenth placed Wycombe Wanderers, despite playing almost an hour of the game with ten men, Liam Noble given his marching orders following an off the ball incident six minutes before half time. 

Prior to this Notts had taken the lead with Jon Stead converting from the spot, Michael Harriman pegging back the visitors just before half time.

The ten men were resolute throughout and took the lead for the second time two minutes into the second half, Adam Campbell finishing off a slick move with a low shot off the outside of his boot. However, it wasn't to be all three points for the away side, Aaron Amadi-Holloway heading Sam Wood's cross high beyond Roy Carroll to claim a point.

Notts made three changes from the team who overcame 10 game unbeaten Newport County on Saturday. Elliott Hewiit failed a late fitness test and was replaced by Gill Swerts, with Rob Milsom taking up the left back position, Thierry Audel moving into the middle to replace Civard Sprockel who missed out. Ricardo Moniz's third change saw Graham Burke drop to the bench with Alan Smith coming in to replace the Irishman.

It was the away side who had the first chance of the game in the first five minutes. Jon Stead got the better of the defender, turning back inside him in the penalty box, Anthony Stewart doing well to block the striker's shot. County came close again from the corner, Curtis Thompson meeting Noble's low corner, sending the ball narrowly wide of the near post.

With eight minutes on the clock the visitors took the lead. Adam Campbell nodded the ball into space on the right hand side, Izale McLeod picked the ball up, driving into the box before cutting it back to Campbell. The striker looked set to get a shot away, but was bundled to the floor before he could do so, referee Kinesley having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The experienced Jon Stead took the responsibility from the spot, driving the ball to the 'keeper's right, beating Matt Ingram, who dived the right way, but couldn't get a hand to the ball.

Wanderers looked to respond immediately, centre back Stewart ending successive corners with a header into the turf which bounced just wide of Carroll's right hand post, fellow centre back Aaron Pierre also threatened minutes later, heading narrowly wide of the opposite post, again from a corner.

Rob Milsom, making his full debut for Notts, stormed down the left just after the quarter of an hour mark, beating the full back before striking towards goal, Ingram parried the ball back into his six yard box but Curtis Thompson couldn't get to the ball first, where he would have had an easy finish.

Just past the half hour mark the hosts had a good opportunity to level, but again they failed to hit the target. Gill Swerts was deemed to have been holding Aaron Amadi-Holloway, left back Joe Jacobson struck the set piece from 20 yards, getting it over the wall but it didn't dip in time and easily flew over the crossbar.

Wanderers did hit the target a few minutes later, Matt Bloomfield striking Paul Hayes' lay off on the half volley, Carroll getting a strong hand to the ball to divert it wide. The goalkeeper did well to tip Jacobson's first corner over the bar, his follow up being well headed away by Swerts.

Six minutes from half time Notts County were reduced to ten men. An off the ball incident in the hosts' penalty area between Liam Noble and Luke O'Nien was seen by the assistant referee, who called the referee over, the official giving the midfielder his marching orders.

It took just seven minutes for the eleven men to draw level. Captain Hayes was released down the left hand side, clipping the ball back to Michael Harriman who headed low past Carroll to equalise and take the teams in all square at the break.

Ricardo Moniz made one change at half time Haydn Hollis replacing Audel at centre back for the away side.

It was just two minutes into the half when County retook the lead. Rob Milsom used his pace down the left to get to the ball first, exquisitely sending in a cross with his left foot which Campbell met, sending the ball past Ingram with the outside of his foot.

Wycombe almost found the equaliser after a scramble in the box, the ball eventually falling to goalscorer Harriman but he could only volley wildly over the bar from 12 yards.

However, the hosts did level the scores just past the hour mark. Sam Wood found space on the left hand side, sending a high cross into Amadi-Holloway who headed high past Carroll into the net.

McLeod had a chance to give Notts the lead for a third time with 20 minutes left on the clock. Adam Campbell broke into the hosts' box on the left, his first cross was blocked, the ball rebounding back to the former Newcastle man who delivered low again, finding McLeod but under pressure his shot lacked power.

Notts stopper Carroll was called into action immediately afterwards, Sam Wood's rasping drive impressively tipped over by the Northern Ireland international. 

Alan Smith picked up the game's first caution after 74 minutes, the midfielder penalised for a high foot 25 yards from Notts County's goal. Jacobson took the set piece, Roy Carroll claiming with ease.

Campbell again was finding joy down the right hand side, taking on the full back and beating him for pace, his cross flying across Ingram but Jason McCarthy did well to clear ahead of Stead who would have had a tap in.

Notts continued to press and looked the more likely to score, despite the numerical disadvantage. Alan Sheehan led an attack from centre back, breaking quickly before spotting Ingram off his line, the loanee tried an audacious effort from the halfway line but the 'keeper back-pedalled well to claim underneath his crossbar.

Moniz made his second change with six minutes to go, Graham Burke coming on to replace Jon Stead who had worked tirelessly all game.

Burke almost had an immediate impact, his free kick from wide on the left was met by Thompson, but the midfielder could only hit the side-netting.

It was the substitute who almost took all three points for Notts County in stoppage time, the midfielder finding space twenty yards out and driving a curling shot low to Ingram's right but the 'keeper got down low to beat the ball away.

This was the last chance for either team and Notts County left Adams Park with a share of the spoils.

Notts: Carroll, Smith, Milsom, Thomspon, Noble, Audel (Hollis 46'(Amevor 90')), Campbell, Swerts, Stead (Burke 84'), McLeod, Sheehan
Subs Not Used: Loach, Spencer, Murray, Burke, Jenner

Attendance: 2,886 (142 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop