Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnsley 2 Notts County 3

21 October 2014

Match Reports

Barnsley 2 Notts County 3

21 October 2014

Barnsley 2 Notts County 3

COMPETITION | Sky Bet League 1
SCORERS | Cole 8, Hourihane 12 |Thompson 20, Petrasso 62, 71.
ATTENDANCE | ATTENDANCE|8,596 (527 away)
REFEREE | Sebastian Stockbridge (Tyne)

Two goals from Michael Petrasso and a goal from Garry Thompson completed an incredible comeback as Notts County defeated Barnsley 3-2.

The home side went two goals ahead in 12 minutes after Cole and Hourihane got the Oakwell crowd going with early finishes. 

Thompson hit back eight minutes later when he fired in from 25 yards beyond Ross Turnbull.

Two goals in nine minutes from Petrasso completed the impressive fight back, after two great finishes on his first start for the club put the Magpies ahead for the first time in the game. 

Barnsley threatened late on but Derry’s side stood strong as they held on to the lead and sealed another three points, making it ten unbeaten for the Magpies now.

Shaun Derry only made one change to the starting line-up that came out on top in the eight goal thriller at Meadow Lane on Saturday, where the Magpies went on to beat Crawley Town 5-3. Michael Petrasso was in the first eleven to make his first start for the club since joining Notts from QPR on-loan. The winger did come off the bench in the victory on Saturday, but for tonight’s game he replaced Shaun Harrad, who took his place on the bench. Also on the bench was Blair Adams, who wasn’t involved at all on Saturday. Jordan Cranston retained his place in the starting line-up on the day he signed an 18 month contract extension, keeping him at the club until the summer of 2016.

It was a very quiet opening to the game, with neither side managing to take full grasp of the early possession. Petrasso was showing early signs of intent, flicking a ball over Martin Cranie, but failing to capitalise on the space he had worked for himself. 

Despite no real chances or spells of possession, Barnsley opened the scoring on eight minutes to give the home side a 1-0 lead. Hourihane, who had looked the most threatening for the Reds so far, picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and bided his time on the ball, before flicking a through pass for Devante Cole. Cole managed to stay onside before poking the ball in at the near post and 
beyond Roy Carroll.

Notts County then went two goals behind only minutes later. It was another Cole and Hourihane combination that opened up the Notts defence. Cole broke clear in the Magpies penalty area and, with Roy Carroll closing in on him, unselfishly passed the ball across to an unmarked Hourihane. Dumbuya was on the line to attempt to block the shot, but the midfielder confidently placed it to the side of the right-back to give Barnsley a two goal lead.

Zeli Ismail looked to get Notts back into the game straight from the kick off, his trickery was unlucky not to earn his side a corner. Garry Thompson was given the striker’s role again following his hat-trick at the weekend, and he fired his side back into the game with 25 minutes on the clock. Good work down the left earned Thompson plenty of space 25 yards from goal, he looked up and hit the ball first time on the half volley, leaving Turnbull to just stand and watch as it flew past the former Chelsea goalkeeper to bring the Magpies back into the game.

The Magpies were starting to put a lot more pressure onto the home team, forcing them to misplace passes and concerning the Barnsley defence with some accurate passing of their own. Ismail and Petrasso were combining well down the right, giving the Barnsley left-back plenty to think about. Laing did some important defending at the back, with last season’s League Two top scorer Sam Winnall running in on goal, it took tremendous strength from the Nottingham Forest loanee to regain the ball before clearing it away to relieve all pressure.

Barnsley came only inches away from regaining their two goal advantage. Ryan Williams received a pull back from Luke Berry before powering a shot onto the post. Cole was waiting for the rebound, but both Carroll and Dumbuya were on the line to block the shot, the latter getting the important touch before clearing all danger.

Petrasso had been involved with plenty of the Magpie’s attacking play and wasn’t far from equalising for the away team. Liam Noble played a delightful ball over the top of the Barnsley defence, with Petrasso picking up the pass and unleashing a powerful strike towards goal, his shot flew way over the bar however. Two minutes of injury time passed with no significant moments as Notts went into the break 2-1 behind.

HT: Barnsley 2 - 1 Notts County

Derry made a change to the defensive side at the break, bringing on Blair Adams to replace Jordan Cranston at left-back, but it was good work from Roy Carroll early on in the second half that denied Barnsley a third goal of the game. Sam Winnall managed to get round Laing and break on to a loose pass before hitting his shot early, Carroll closed down the space early before making a smart stop to deny the former Scunthorpe striker.

Notts didn’t let this affect them and continued to show plenty of attacking intent. Adams and Ismail both putting dangerous crosses across goal before a free-kick from Gary Jones was put onto the head of Hollis. Hollis was leaning back as he made slight contact on the ball, making it easy for Turnbull to claim.

Carroll was being tested plenty of times during the second half. Digby tried his luck from distance, hitting a fierce shot towards goal, Carroll got across well but the shot went wide of the keeper’s right post. Cole also gave Carroll plenty to do, working his way into the box before hitting a strike straight at the goalkeeper, who parried before the defence got the ball clear.

On 62 minutes Notts County levelled the game despite being slightly under pressure. Garry Thompson had worked his way onto the wing before a quick interchange with Ismail saw the number 11 with space out on the right. He picked out a fantastic cross towards a lurking Michael Petrasso, who got up well before guiding an accurate header into the far corner, giving Turnbull no chance.

The goal gave Derry’s side bags of confidence, with McLaughlin having an opportunity only seconds after the goal, his shot being blocked. Garry Thompson already had a goal and an assist to his name this evening and he came extremely close to get his second and Notts’ third. A ball into the area from Adams was challenged by Noble, but the ball fell to Thompson, who hit it with his left foot, the ball was always curling away however.

Petrasso was also looking to get his second of the game. A cross field pass was picked up by the winger on the halfway line. He ran 40 yards with the ball before cutting inside and shooting from the edge of the area. His shot lacked power and narrowly missed the near post. Seconds later and Petrasso had his second on Notts’ third of the evening. The ball was pumped into the box and flicked on before falling into the path of Petrasso, who took a touch before putting the ball over the Barnsley keeper and into the back of the net to put the Magpies ahead for the first time this game. 

The home side weren’t going to let the game go without a fight. Gary Jones making a vital interception from a Ryan Williams pull back across the box to concede a corner. Barnsley had several set-pieces from which they looked to threaten the Notts defence, but they stayed strong at the back and denied Barnsley from having a serious chance on goal.

The Barnsley supporters thought they had got back in to the game. A slip from Haydn Hollis allowed the space to open up for Devante Cole, who opened up his body and hit a shot from the edge of the area. Parts of Oakwell thought it was in as the ball sailed wide of Roy Carroll’s left post. Substitute Treacy was next to have a go at goal, Laing’s clearance falling to the number 7, who blasted the ball over the bar.

4 minutes added time was announced and despite being under a bit of pressure, the away side stayed strong and battled hard to keep hold of an impressive comeback. Derry will surely be proud of the character his side showed to come back from two goals down. The travelling support, fantastic throughout, will go home extremely happy after witnessing a well-deserved comeback. 

FT: Barnsley 2 - 3 Notts County


He couldn’t really have asked for more on his first start for the club since joining on-loan from QPR. The winger showed good intent early on and grew into the game as it went on. Two well taken goals to help towards an incredible comeback, the winner of the game being a well taken goal placed over Turnbull.

Barnsley: Turnbull, Berry, Nyatanga, Cranie ©, Hourihane, Winnnall, Digby (Treacy 76), Ramage, Williams, Bree (Brown 68), Cole.
Substitutes: Davies, Brown, Dudgeon, Treacy, Hemmings, Abbott, Lita.

Notts County: Carroll, Dumbuya, Hollis ©, Ismail, Petrasso, G Thompson, Jones, Noble, McLaughlin, Cranston (Adams 46), Laing.
Substitutes: Spiess, Wroe, Murray, McKenzie, Adams, Traore, Harrad.

Look out for full reaction and post-match highlights on Magpie Player. 

Photos by Dan Westwell

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop