Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

19 October 2018 Venue Banks's Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)


Notts County
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Match Reports

Walsall U18s 1-2 Notts U18s

20 October 2018

Notts Under 18s left it late to secure a 2-1 win over Walsall in the first round of the FA Youth Cup.

Kion Etete scored once in each half, including one deep into stoppage-time to give Craig Gordon's side the win. 

It had looked as though extra time would be needed to decide the clash after Alfie Bates equalised, but the 16 year-old's second earned the win inside 90 - which was the least the Magpies deserved.

Notts had the lion's share of possession in the opening stages and created the game's first chance on 10 minutes.

Corey Bucalossi switched the ball to the left flank where Cameron Smith found Tyreece Kennedy-Williams on the overlap who cut back for Etete, but the striker missed the target with defenders closing in. 

The hosts first effort on goal was a speculative one - Bates trying his luck with a free-kick from 30 yards which was easily held by Max Culverwell.

Chances were at a premium in the opening stages but as the half-hour approached Notts forged two in quick succession.

First Kieran Cummings showed neat feet to work space on the right-hand side of the box but couldn't keep his shot down, before Kennedy-Williams picked out Etete who couldn't get enough power on the header as he back-pedalled. 

This was the start of a good spell for the Magpies, with Cummings getting another sight of goal shortly afterwards but only able to curl wide from the edge of the box after a swift counter-attack.

And the pressure paid off five minutes short of half-time. A loose ball played out of the Walsall defence was challenged for in midfield and broke to Etete on the edge of the box who powered into the top corner.

The lead could have been doubled before the break but for some last-ditch defending by the hosts.

First Charlie Wilde had a shot well-blocked before a deep cross into Kennedy-Williams was stolen off his head by goalkeeper Ethan Dawe, who went one better moments later.

Jack Henchcliffe's deep free-kick picked out Etete at the back post and his header looked certain to find the back of the net but the Walsall keeper produced a fantastic save to turn it behind for a corner.

Notts deservedly led at the break and the second-half began in a similar fashion to the first with both sides cancelling each other out.

The Magpies started to impose themselves again just short of the hour-mark and Cummings thought he had his goal when a sliding challenge richoted off him towards the Walsall net but rolled the wrong side of the post. 

But, against the run of play, the hosts levelled on 64 minutes when Alfie Bates' corner found its way through Culverwell. 

Gordon responded by throwing Coden Duncan into the action but almost saw his side go behind when Walsall broke quickly from a Notts set piece, only for subsitute Danny Coogan to drag his shot wide from an angle. 

Etete went close with a volley from range as the Magpies sezied the initiative again after weathering the storm that followed the equaliser.

Going into the last 15 minutes, Notts were firmly in the ascendancy and Owen Betts stepped out of defence to test Dawe from range who turned the shot behind.

Duncan was within inches of super-sub status but saw his curling effort cannon back off the upright before Bucalossi headed narrowly wide from a corner.

With five to play, Gordon brought Leo Marshall on for Smith as Notts hunted for that elusive second goal.

Four minutes were added on and, deep into the alotted time, the pressure eventually told as Betts punted one into the Walsall box and Etete beat Dawe to the ball to nod home.

There was still time for Owen Newell to be introduced in place of Wilde but no time for a comeback and the Magpies secured safe passage to round two.

Notts team: Culverwell, Henchcliffe, Kennedy-Williams, Ramirez (C), Betts, Altaf, Cummings (Duncan 67'), Bucalossi, Etete, Wilde (Newell 90'), Smith (Marshall 85').

Subs not used: Brooks, Palmer.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop