Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
07 April 2023 Venue Meadow Lane Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Vanarama National League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Notts 3-0 Wealdstone

Record-breaking day as Jason Turner is remembered

7 April 2023

Macaulay Langstaff set a National League record for goals scored in a season and we set a new club high for points gained in a single campaign as we remembered our late chief executive Jason Turner with a dominant victory over Wealdstone.

After Sam Austin had sent us into half-time ahead with a fine finish, Langstaff raced through on goal after the break to coolly slot home his 41st of the season - beating Ricky Miller's 40-goal haul.

And it was left to substitute Frank Vincent to put the icing on the cake as his emphatic finish gave us an insurmountable lead.

Following his impressive displays against Scunthorpe and Altrincham, Archie Mair kept his place in goal in the continued absence of Sam Slocombe.

There were changes in defence, though, as fit-again duo Richard Brindley and Aden Baldwin slotted in alongside Kyle Cameron.

Adam Chicksen and Aaron Nemane ran the wings, with John Bostock and Matt Palmer supporting the more attacking duo of Jodi Jones and Austin.

Langstaff led the line as usual with his former Gateshead accomplice, Cedwyn Scott, returning to the bench alongside Tiernan Brooks, Connell Rawlinson, Vincent and Jim O’Brien.

Ruben Rodrigues was left out as a precaution having experienced some tightness in our last match.

Before the match, family members of Jason Turner, the club's CEO who tragically and suddenly passed away a week prior, were joined pitchside by the club's owners and staff as the entire stadium applauded in his memory.

And an emotionally-charged atmosphere brought a fast start from the men in black and white, who went close inside three minutes when Nemane's dangerous low cross was only cleared as far as Austin, who couldn't find enough space to shoot before being crowded out in the area.

We had the lead five minutes later, though, when a Stones defence as keen as us to play out from the back presented the ball to Langstaff in a wide position just outside the area. He supplied the nearby Austin, whose low, curling effort struck the inside of the post on its way in.

Kicking towards the Kop, we had complete control of the game - but had to wait until the 30th minute for our next big chance as we kept the danger alive following Austin's blocked shot, eventually crossing for Langstaff who could only hit the post with his close-range header.

A minute later, we did brilliantly to play out from inside our own six-yard box and lead a counter-attack through Austin who, at the end of the move, saw his shot superbly saved by Samuel Howes.

And the chances kept coming as, seconds later, Howes was called into another big save as he pushed Langstaff's sliding effort away after Jones had played a delightful cross into the middle.

Langstaff would have loved to break Ricky Miller's record in front of the Kop - but his final chance to do so was again snuffed out by Howes, who was quick off his line to smother his shot after Palmer had brilliantly played him through on goal.

For all our first-half dominance, our good work was nearly undone twice inside a minute's added time as Mair had to make a smart save with his feet before Olufela Olomola got his free header all wrong eight yards from goal.

We emerged for the second half unchanged and should probably have found our elusive second goal with nine minutes of the restart as Cameron glanced Palmer's excellent free-kick wide with his head.

But, just after the hour, we did double our lead - and who else to get it than Langstaff, who raced through on goal from Mair's long kick and produced the perfect finish to make history for the second match in a row.

Palmer saw a shot blocked and Austin headed an excellent Jones cross over as we pursued a third.

And we got it when Frank Vincent, on for Nemane, lashed the ball home after fellow subsitute Scott had seen a shot saved.

Mair made a big save at his near post to preserve a clean sheet and Langstaff twice went close to adding our fourth, seeing a shot saved before failing to connect with Vincent's excellent low cross.

But three goals proved to be enough to return us to the top of the league as Wrexham slipped to a rare defeat.

STARTING XI: Mair; Cameron, Baldwin, Brindley; Chicksen, Nemane (Vincent 66'); Bostock (O'Brien 67'), Palmer, Austin, Jones (Scott 73'); Langstaff

SUBS: Brooks, Rawlinson

ATTENDANCE: 9,786 (339)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop