Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

16 April 2019 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Grimsby Town Reserves
2 - 5
Notts County Reserves
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Three in a row for Reserves

Notts hit five in comprehensive win

16 April 2019

Notts County Reserves ran out comfortable 5-2 winners at Grimsby on Tuesday afternoon.

A first-half brace from Kion Etete was added to in the second period by Remaye Campbell, Will Patching and Sam Osborne as Steve Chettle's side earned a third straight win.

Grimsby had gone into the break level after two goals within three minutes just before the interval, with Jock Curran and Brandon Buckley on target for the Mariners. 

The Magpies were on the front foot in the opening exchanges and Declan Dunn, agian captaining the side, flashed a low effort narrowly wide on four minutes.

They didnt have to wait much longer to break the deadlock, though, as Etete met Patching's corner at the near post to volley Notts ahead.

Dan Jones saw a free-kick turned over by Ollie Battersby before Etete had an effort well saved by the Grimsby goalkeeper as he chased his second.

And he had his brace on 24 minutes when a goalmouth scramble ensued following a Jones corner - Shaun Brisley twice thought he'd nudged the ball over the line but play continued and it was Etete who got the telling touch to double his, and the Magpies', tally.

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half, Battersby was called into action twice in a matter of moments. First it was Cedric Evina who benefitted from Campbell's hold-up play to drill a low effort at goal which the stopper pushed away. The danger was only half-cleared, however, and a pinpoint cross from Jones picked out Etete, but the striker didn't connect properly with his header and the goalkeeper gathered comfortably.

He was equal to Dunn's driven shot from the edge of the box and his side went down the other end to take their first real opportunity of the game.

Rumarn Burrell picked Elliott Ward's pocket before charging through on goal and shooting from the right side of the box. Max Culverwell got down well to make the save and the ball fell to Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain, who dallied in possession and Curran managed to turn the ball home.

They were level moments later when a Joseph Starbuck cross was parried only as far as Buckley who tapped home from close range.  

Campbell had a shot well blocked as Notts looked to regain the advantage before the half-time whistle but the sides returned to their dressing rooms level. 

Within four minutes of the restart he got himself on the scoresheet, though, as his glancing header at the near post turned Jones' cross beyond the reach of Battersby. 

The Magpies’ two-goal cushion was restored as the game entered the final quarter of an hour with Will Patching unleashing a ferocious drive from 25 yards out which whistled into the back of the net. 

And it was three shortly after when Osborne latched onto a flick-on before being brought down in the box. He picked himself up to send Battersby the wrong way and roll the ball into the bottom corner.

Inside the last 10 minutes, Evina looked to get himself on the scoresheet with a driven effort from the corner of the box but the Grimsby keeper was equal to it.

In the dying moments, Lennon Stead saw a free-kick hit the crossbar but that was as close as Grimsby came to getting back in the game and Chettle’s side recorded a comfortable win.

Notts: Culverwell, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Betts 66'), Brisley, Ward, Jones, Osborne, Dunn (C), Patching, Evina, Campbell, Etete.

Subs not used: Brooks, Kennedy-Williams, Henchcliffe.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Shop