Skip to main content


16:57 2nd January 2012

Hughes And Hughes Complete Comeback

Goals from Jeff Hughes and Lee Hughes saw Notts County snatch a point, after being 2-0 down against Huddersfield Town.

Both teams created chances throughout the first half but neither was able to break the deadlock. That all changed in the second half, as the 8,914 spectators were treated to an exciting 45 minutes that included four goals.

Gary Roberts put Huddersfield in front with a header on 52 minutes. Jordan Rhodes made it 2-0 six minutes later, capitalising on a rebound from Roberts' initial attempt.

Many would have thought the game was dead but not the Magpies, who started their comeback on 72 minutes, when Jeff Hughes tucked away a penalty. Lee Hughes later netted an equaliser with his third goal in four games to give Notts a well-deserved share of the spoils.

Following the 3-2 defeat against Oldham Athletic the previous Saturday, Martin Allen hinted at handing his younger players a chance. The Notts boss followed through with his with words by handing first-year pro Haydn Hollis his Football League debut at the heart of defence, alongside Sam Sodje, who returned from suspension.

The young defender was the first graduate of the Centre of Excellence to make a start since its reformation in 2008, highlighting the progress that has been made by the department in such a short space of time. And, what a time for Hollis to make his first team bow - a day that the club opened their 150th anniversary celebrations.

County handled the threat of forward duo Rhodes and Alan Lee well in the early stages, and created the better of the chances. Following some fine offensive dribbling down the right by Julian Kelly, Karl Hawley had a low effort blocked, moments before Anton Robinson denied Neal Bishop at close range with a superb sliding tackle.

Kelly was again involved on 16 minutes to carve out a good opportunity for Jeff Hughes with a sweeping cross. Hughes skipped past his marker and unleashed a powerful drive that was deflected over by Tom Clarke's brave block.

The visitors' first real opening came shortly after, when Roberts' swinging free-kick from the right evaded the home backline. Town skipper Peter Clarke connected with a thumping header but Stuart Nelson reacted quickly to fist the ball away.

Lee Hughes almost crept in on goal from Nelson's long kick, only to be crowded out before he could add a finishing touch. Alan Judge then found Hughes with a cross from the right and the frontman volleyed wide of the target on the turn.

Sam Sodje was forced off early when he picked up an injury after being sent tumbling by Lee. Krystian Pearce was introduced in his place with just five minutes of the half remaining.

During those five minutes, Hamza Bencherif's under-hit back-pass was almost latched onto by Rhodes but Nelson rushed out of his box to hack clear. The ball made its way as far as wideman Danny Cadamarteri, whose long-range effort was headed off the line by Neal Bishop, before Nelson gathered Rhodes' overhead kick.

Notts had the better of the play in the opening five minutes of the second half, with Lee Hughes dragging wide, after racing onto the end of Pearce's targeted long pass. Hughes later directed Bencherif's driven free-kick over the bar with a hopeful header.

Against the run of play, it was the Terriers that took the lead on 52 minutes, when Rhodes was fed into space down the right. League 1's top-scorer proceeded to lift a cross towards the back post, where Roberts headed home.

The Magpies stepped it up a gear after the goal and nearly levelled instantly when Jeff Hughes' low centre was almost directed into his own net. Then, in quick succession, Lee Hughes fired wide of the post on the turn and Hawley volleyed into the arms of Ian Bennett in the away goal.

On 58 minutes, Town doubled their lead, following a delightful chip by Roberts that hit the underside of the bar. With Nelson down, Rhodes finished the job by heading into an empty net.

Hawley could have made it 2-1 when he connected with Kelly's driven cross but couldn't direct his header on target. At the other end, Rhodes could equally have made it 3-1, when he wriggled free of Bencherif at the by-line and laid the ball into the path of Lee, but the forward's close-range drive was somehow pushed against the crossbar by Nelson - a remarkable save that would prove to be so important in the Magpies claiming a point.

Judge also rattled the bar for County with a powerful hit from 25 yards. As play continued, Jeff Hughes picked out Kelly but the full-back's volley was smothered inside the post by Bennett.

A great opportunity presented itself, when Tom Clarke upended Sheehan inside the area and the Magpies were awarded a penalty. Jeff Hughes stepped up to rifle into the left corner, leaving his side with 18 minutes, plus stoppage time, to grab another.

Alan Sheehan

Jeff Hughes

It came on 83 minutes through Lee Hughes, who was played in by Judge's delightful overhead pass. Hughes held off his man with great strength and struck past Bennett from eight yards.

Lee Hughes

During four minutes of added time, the home fans had their hearts in their mouths when Nelson didn't quite make it to a high ball, but the stopper made amends with a grounded save at the feet of substitute Scott Arfield. It looked as though Arfield might still score but enough pressure was placed on him by the rearguard to pressure him into prodding wide.

Attendance: 8,914 (2,352 away supporters)

Man of the Match, sponsored by Chino Latino: Alan Judge

Chino Latino

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.