Skip to main content


17:00 5th November 2011

Last-Gasp Leveller Denies Magpies Three

Match Sponsored By:
Premier Electrical

Notts County were denied three points against Wycombe Wanderers by a last-gasp equaliser.

Notts went in at the break a goal to the good, courtesy of Ben Burgess' header inside the first minute. However, County were denied three points at the death, as substitute Joel Grant struck unstoppably into the bottom corner from range.

The Magpies were eager to get back to winning ways, following draws against Bury and Brentford, which preceded last weekend's 4-2 loss to Colchester United. Undefeated in the last six games at Meadow Lane, the home fans had every reason to be optimistic about their team's chances of maintaining a place in the top six.

Martin Allen made three changes from the side that took on the U's the previous Saturday. Krystian Pearce came back from a one-game ban to partner Mike Edwards at the heart of defence, and Burgess and Charlie Allen were drafted into the starting 11.

Burgess made an impact 47 seconds into the match, when he connected with Alan Sheehan's out-swinging corner. The frontman rose authoritatively to produce a thumping header that clipped the underside of the bar and bounced into the roof of the net.

The crowd was immediately buoyed but they were given little to get excited about until Sheehan's driven free kick narrowly avoided the top corner on 18 minutes. Moments later, Alan Judge found space to surge forward down the middle and forced away stopper Nikki Bull into a superb parry, low to his right.

Shortly after Lee Hughes cleared the bar with a volley from the edge of the box, Wycombe almost levelled. Full back Marvin McCoy bent a cross behind the County rearguard and Scott Donnelly's downward header required Stuart Nelson to react instantly with a diving save.

From a throw-in on the left, Charlie Allen almost opened his account in a Notts jersey, as he held off two Wycombe players and fired inches over from the edge of the box. Lee Hughes later latched onto another Burgess flick-on, squirmed free of his marker and prodded wide.

The second period started quietly and Ricky Ravenhill's looping effort from Judge's low corner was the only effort of note inside the first 15 minutes. On 58 minutes, Lee Hughes' turn and finish tested Bull, though play was halted due to the frontman being in an offside position.

The visitors threatened for the first time in the second 45, when Donnelly's corner broke for Grant Basey. The defender composed himself, before drilling over.

Shortly after Karl Hawley replaced Allen, Burgess calmed down play with a deft lay-off. Judge picked up possession and struck against the foot of the post from 25 yards.

Wanderers mounted the pressure as the match edged to a close and substitute Jordan Ibe provided a scare when he burst past Julian Kelly on the left and flashed the ball across the face of goal. Moments later, Leon Johnson nodded a cross in the direction of their top scorer Stuart Beavon, whose powerful header had to be acrobatically turned over by Nelson.

The fourth official, sparking protests of disbelief from the home support, showed five minutes of added time. However, Wycombe needed only a minute of it to draw level, with substitute Grant striking wildly into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

The Magpies now face a break from league action, as focus turns to the FA Cup. Accrington Stanley will visit Meadow Lane for the first round clash.

Attendance: 7,664 (334 away supporters)

Man of the Match, sponsored by Chino Latino: Ben Burgess

Chino Latino

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.