Skip to main content


16:01 3rd September 2011

Notts Pick Off Cherries

Match Sponsored By:
Chambers Of Arnold

Notts County secured a deserved three points this afternoon with a 3-1 triumph over AFC Bournemouth.

Lee Hughes opened the scoring early on with his third goal of the season. The Magpies dominated and were unlucky not to have extended the lead ahead of the break.

The Cherries then equalised through midfielder Marc Pugh, who finished well after breaking the offside trap. However, on 78 minutes, Krystian Pearce put Notts back in front with a powerful header.

Cristian Montano rounded off the scoring with a superb turn and finish four minutes from time, after coming off the bench. This moved County up to 11th in the league, having taken nine points from six matches.

It was back to Meadow Lane for the Magpies, following two away trips, both of which ended in defeat. Despite the results, Notts were encouraged by the performances and were looking to see their efforts rewarded with points against the Cherries.

Having recovered from a hamstring injury, Ben Burgess appeared for the first time in 2011/12 and he lined up in attack alongside Lee Hughes, who had been cleared to play despite being absent from training with a neck injury. Skipper Neal Bishop also returned to the side, after sitting out the Preston fixture through suspension, and Alan Judge was handed a place in the starting 11.

It took the Magpies just 53 seconds to get in front, after Jeff Hughes had worked the left channel and picked out Lee Hughes inside the area with a perfectly weighted through pass. Away goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan attempted to narrow the angle but was unable reach the frontman's finish, which nestled in the bottom corner.

Lee Hughes

Ben Burgess almost made it 2-0 five minutes later, following a neat one-two with Judge. Burgess collected in space on the edge of the box and forced a low save from Flahavan with a strong hit.

Bournemouth's first effort on goal came in the 15th minute, when full-back Nathan Byrne's shot deflected off Alan Sheehan to narrowly evade the top corner. From the resulting corner, Notts broke, courtesy of Judge's searching diagonal ball to Lee Hughes, who curled just over after turning inside his marker.

Moments later, a lapse in concentration allowed Byrne in behind the County backline and his cross found Lyle Taylor at the back post. Julian Kelly blocked the striker's header and Gavin Mahon threw his body on the line to keep out a powerfully hit rebound.

Notts dictated much of the play and continued to grow in confidence, as they searched for a second. Sheehan almost found the top corner from the left wing, Judge came close with a volley and Burgess headed wide from six yards.

On 42 minutes, Bishop picked out Kelly's charging run down the right and the full-back was able to centre towards Lee Hughes, who laid the ball into the path of Judge. Judge's whose effort was blocked, leading to Jeff Hughes directing wide.

After the break, the Magpies should have doubled their lead, when Burgess nodded Sheehan's targeted long ball into the path of Judge, who then placed the ball between Shaun Cooper's legs and was through on goal. The midfielder's strong hit was turned away by Flahavan's outstretched fist, before his second attempt found the fans in the Kop Stand behind the goal.

Stuart Nelson was forced to produce his first save of the afternoon in the 63rd minute. Pugh found room on the corner of the box to fire towards the near post, where the goalkeeper acrobatically palmed behind.

On 71 minutes, the Cherries were back on level terms, following a delightful floated pass from Harry Arter. Pugh timed his run wonderfully and gathered in space, prior to striking against the underside of the bar, into the net.

Lee Hughes almost put Notts back in front instantly, when he connected with Sheehan's swinging cross to test Flahavan with a stern header. However, a goal wasn't far away.

Rising high at the back post, Pearce directed Judge's corner past Flahavan with a forceful header. This left Notts 2-1 up with just 12 minutes left on the clock.


It looked set to be a tense close to the match but the nerves were settled by the substitute Montano, who controlled deftly in the area. Unexpectedly, he then displayed clever footwork to turn sharply and stroke against the underside of the bar and in.

Notts saw out five minutes of added time and the Notts fans went home happy. Next up was a trip to Juventus, which would mark the opening of their new stadium in Turin.

Attendance: 5,510 (237 away supporters)

Man of the Match, sponsored by Chino Latino: Alan Judge

Chino Latino

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.