Skip to main content


15:53 2nd April 2011

Fifth Loss On The Bounce

Match Sponsored By:
Premier Electrical

Notts County were defeated for the fifth time in a row, as two late goals condemned them to a 2-0 loss to Oldham Athletic.

A goalless first half saw little in terms of goalmouth action, as both teams aimed to end their respective goal droughts. Neither side had netted in four games.

Oldham finally netted late in the second period, after Mike Edwards was given his marching orders for a foul on Chris Taylor in the area. Jason Lowe coverted the resulting penalty and substitute Reuben Reid added a second in added time.

The meeting kicked off a crucial month for the Magpies, which would see them face a host of teams fighting against the drop. With just two points separating Notts from the relegation zone, three points would bring huge relief, following four consecutive losses.

County were without Jon Harley for the clash, after picking up his 10th booking of the season against Huddersfield, and Dave Martin filled in at left-back. Kevin McDonald was ruled out through injury but starts were handed to Karl Hawley and Febian Brandy.

Brandy, in his first start for the club, looked lively in the early stages with his energy and inventiveness, but Notts lacked the final ball. Lee Hughes had the best opportunity when away stopper Dean Brill's poor clearance fell at his feet, only his shot from distance lacked power and precision.

The visitors thought they'd gone in front on 15 minutes, after Kieran Lee dispossessed Martin at the by-line. The full-back cut the ball back into the path of Aiden White a yard from goal but he was denied by Stephen Darby's superb last-ditch challenge.

Darby was unlucky not to create a goal-scoring chance at the other end, following a creative interchange between with Brandy, which ended with the overlapping defender's low cross being cut out. On 35 minutes, Hawley almost picked out Hughes with a diagonal ball over the top but the Magpies' top-scorer was unable to take the ball in his stride.

The second period started in the same manner that the first ended, with limited activity in both final thirds. Hughes looked set to spark the fixture into life on 63 minutes when he raced clear of the backline, thanks to Martin's prodded through pass, but his run was cut short due to the assistant referee flagging for offside.

More chances followed for Notts, with Westcarr becoming more involved from both flanks. His cross set up Hawley at the back post to fire high and wide, and then he teed up Hughes, who tested Brill with a stern header.

During a five-minute spell, Oldham had two chances to break the deadlock. Edwards bravely blocked Taylor's powerful hit and Lee slotted inches wide.

Njogu Demba-Nyren replaced Brandy on 78 minutes and he almost made an immediate impact. The Gambian controlled with his head before striking over from 12 yards.

Notts went down to 10 men when Edwards upended Taylor in the box, after he had broken free in the area. Stuart Nelson guessed correctly but Lowe placed the ball low into the corner, out of his reach.

Reid scored the visitors' second during four minutes of added time, as he fired home following some clever footwork. Disappointed home fans flooded out of the Meadow Lane stadium with defeat confirmed.

Premier Electrical

Attendance: 5,538 (493 Oldham Athletic supporters)

Premier Electrical Man of the Match: Febian Brandy

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.