Skip to main content


15:49 3rd April 2010

Notts County 5-0 Bury

Notts County closed the gap on Rochdale to seven points with a thumping win in front of a delighted home audience. In an evenly contested first 45 minutes Notts went into the break a goal to the good. This came from Mike Edwards, who took advantage of a goalkeeping error. Kasper Schmeichel kept his team in front with a tremendous stop before the interval. This was a key moment, especially considering that Craig Westcarr was able to grab a much needed second goal on 52 minutes. Bury appeared to become disheartened and Notts started to run riot. Ben Davies rifled into the top corner, capping off a lengthy passing move, and then set up Lee Hughes for the fourth. Delroy Facey rounded off his team's third 5-0 win of the season at Meadow Lane with his first league goal of the campaign in the black and white stripes. The promotion race is certainly looking interesting with only nine fixtures remaining. Jamie Clapham filled in at right-back in the absence of suspended defender John Thompson, enabling Steve Cotterill to keep pretty much the same line-up that has proven to be so successful in recent weeks. He went into the game hoping that the dreaded Manager of the Month curse did not strike, following the announcement that he'd claimed the award for March. Notts got off to a storming start and were in front by the fourth minute, when Lee Hughes worked the right channel and managed to cause Wayne Brown problems with a floated centre. The stretching goalkeeper couldn't quite grasp the ball, palming it into the path of Mike Edwards, who slammed into the corner of the net without hesitation. Hughes himself could have doubled the lead almost instantly after being sent racing clear with a direct pass over the top of the defence. Outpacing his marker, Ben Futcher, he spotted Brown advancing off his line but his ambitious chip was too heavy and sailed over the crossbar. Luke Rodgers nearly found the bottom corner from distance and Graeme Lee forced Brown to hold well from a powerful header as Notts pushed for a second. Still, the visitors were looking increasingly dangerous in attack and Andy Morrell was unlucky to have a tidy finish ruled out for offside. Inventive wide man James Poole was looking to be Bury's danger man, though the Notts backline were managing to prevent any clear-cut chances being carved out. At the other end of the pitch, however, Craig Westcarr fired low into the arms of Brown to round off a smart move where Neal Bishop had met his run with a perfectly weighted through-ball. Kasper Schmeichel was next to be tested as the game edged towards half time. From the edge of the box, David Worrall struck ferociously and the stopper spilled, but he demonstrated great bravery to smother the loose ball. He was called into action again during stoppage time after Bury's best move of the match to this point. As the ball was shifted across the edge of the area, Poole hit a low, bending effort towards the bottom corner but Schmeichel reacted sharply to fist away low to his right. Bury made their attacking intentions clear from the restart but it was Notts that tested first. Westcarr somehow retained possession and turned past three defenders, but his shot bounced wide of the bottom corner. Poole was presented with a golden opportunity moments after, finding space from 20 yards to strike, only for his own teammate to get in the way. This allowed the Magpies defence to clear the danger. Rodgers had a lively opening to the second period and was causing the visitors numerous problems. First his threaded pass set up Hughes, who was denied by the legs of Brown, and then he found Westcarr for the second goal of the afternoon. Racing down the left flank, his grounded cross met by the run of Westcarr and allowed the winger to slam beyond the helpless goalkeeper. It was Westcarr's 10th goal of the campaign and a reward for another hard-working performance. Westcarr was a key figure in a sublime passing move that led to his team's third, sending Clapham racing clear down the right wing. The full-back prodded inside for Davies to take a touch and ruthlessly launch into the top-corner. The Shakers were truly shaken and more was to come, courtesy of top-scorer Hughes. Davies whipped in a trademark delivery from deep, enabling the clinical front man to nod home his 27th of the season. Notts continued to pursue more goals and Brown had to be alert to keep out Ricky Ravenhill's thunderous punt. Following up the rebound, though, was Edwards and he teed up newly introduced substitute Facey to poke over the line. Notts now travel to promotion rivals Shrewsbury on Monday for another vital battle. Spirits will certainly high on the back of another fantastic display that increases hopes of catching Rochdale and clinching the League Two title. Attendance: 7,005 (529 Bury supporters) Live4Soccer Man of the Match: Luke Rodgers Notts County: Kasper Schmeichel, Jamie Clapham, Mike Edwards, Graeme Lee, Stephen Hunt, Craig Westcarr, Neal Bishop, Ricky Ravenhill, Ben Davies (Hamshaw 68), Luke Rodgers (Hawley 81), Lee Hughes (Facey 76). Substitutes: Russell Hoult, Delroy Facey, Matt Hamshaw, Karl Hawley, Ben Fairclough, Sean Canham, Ade Akinbiyi. Scorer(s): Edwards 4, Westcarr 52, Davies 59, Hughes 66, Facey 80 Yellow Card(s): None Bury: Wayne Brown, Paul Scott, David Buchanan, Ben Futcher, Ryan Cresswell, Stephen Dawson, Andy Bishop (Carlton 67), Brian Barry-Murphy, Andy Morrell (Elliott 67), David Worrall (Jones 67), James Poole. Substitutes: Cameron Belford, Sam Hewson, Danny Carlton, Michael Jones, Efetobore Sodje, Tom Elliott, Tom Newey. Scorer(s): None Yellow Card(s): None Report by Dane Vincent
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.