Skip to main content


17:03 19th September 2009

Morecambe FC 2-1 Notts County FC

Notts travelled up the country to Morecambe - a team who had drawn five out of their seven league games so far this season. New signing Sol Campbell was in the starting line up for the first time, an eagerly anticipated moment for Notts' fans.

Five minutes in and Jackson was forced off the ball, Campbell and Schmeichel closed in quickly, Kasper doing well one on one to get to the ball first. County immediately countered; Johnnie Jackson putting in the corner coming from Davies' earlier headed shot on goal, but Morecambe were able to clear.

Ritchie's skilful footwork saw Garry Hunter give a freekick in frustration; play remained in midfield until Sol was required to clear quickly with his head. Morecambe's corner in narrowly went wide of the post as a shot came out of the scramble in the six yard box.

Centre back Danny Adams was working hard for Morecambe to stop Lee Hughes' goal tally rising and Jamie Clapham was again playing well for County down the left side with several good balls in, but no sign of goal for the Magpies.

17 minutes and Jevon hit the post with a clear strike. Morecambe remained aggressive and with twenty minutes left in the half good play from Drummond & Craney brought in Jevons again, but his ball into Garry Hunter was just too long.

Just as the half hour mark approached Morecambe again attacked - Schmeichel once more forced to make a good save.County brought play out through Ben Davies whose ball to Karl Hawley was stopped short by a foul on the Notts number 15. Davies put in the freekick from the centre circle, again a great ball from Ben, this time finding Lee Hughes, but Hughes unable to add to his arsenal of goals.

Drummond set Paul Jevons up in the 34th minute, Jevons just easing enough room next to Campbell to shoot but he couldn't get fully behind it and Schmeichel had it gifted straight to his hands. Minutes after Morecambe appeals for obstruction of Jevons were denied, but a corner was awarded.Ian Craney put in the ball deep into the box and Captain James Bentley took the opportunity to put Morecambe ahead.

Ritchie's pace and reactions couldn't seal an equaliser in response, as he made room then turned and shot from the edge of the box. Good shot, but just wide of the mark as forty minutes closed down. Seconds later Bishop's ball in found Ritchie but Barry Roche was there to deal with the threat. The half drew to a close with County 1-0 down.

Half Time.

Brendan put Lee Hughes through down the right two minutes in, Hughes got hold of it and struck tight on the near post, Roche was just able to stop it. Disaster came though for Notts as Morecambe's corner - in from Craney in the 52nd minute - was headed in by Paul Mullin to put the home side two goals ahead. Rodgers came on for Hawley.

Morecambe were straight back on the attack, a freekick inches outside of the box was awarded.Phil Jevons lined up but having hit the wall had to settle for a throw in. Straight after; Matt Ritchie left the field for Craig Westcarr and Morecambe changed Stanley for Panther.

Dead on the hour, back-to-back corners from County failed to find the net; half hour left to play and County needing to get on the scoresheet. Moloney put a great long ball down the right, finding Hughes, but Bentley was still covering well and forced the goal kick.

Hughes did break - beating Danny Adams and creating a chance for Notts. The initial clearance was poor and Moloney was able to cross into Luke Rodgers but he was offside.Straight back on the attack, Rodgers had a good run across the pitch and shot from outside the box, almost catching Roche off-guard.

Following the booking of Bentley for a heavy challenge on Westcarr; Clapham found Ben Davies with the freekick, who turned beautifully and slotted it home. 2-1 and County back in the running. With fifteen minutes left in the game, Westcarr played on Jackson well from the right, Jackson came close and then as the ball back in Hughes - half on the floor - flicked a shot towards the far post but was just denied.

Phil Jevons left the pitch on 80 minutes, replaced by Michael Twiss as Morecambe began to count down the final ten minutes, still with a goal lead.The Magpies kept on the pressure and Laurence Wilson changed for Wayne Curtis. Five minutes left to play and a huge penalty claim from County. In the end a freekick on the edge of the box was given, Westcarr and Davies over the ball - hit in by Davies but cleared.Morecambe responded the pressure to stay ahead; Craney coming close in the dying minutes.

88 minutes and Schmeichel picked out Hughes straight from the kick, Roche again was there and as the fourth official showed 4 minutes added on, County were still chasing another goal hard. In the first minute, Craig Westcarr hit the inside of the post, coming straight back across the goal - County looking likely for the draw. Straight after, Jackson's shot went for a corner - seeing Kasper join the forwards in the box. Another corner forced and from the play Schmeichel trying an overhead kick which only just missed - justifying his presence in the box in the dying seconds. The final whistle went just too soon for County, who were threatening an equalizer that never came.

Full Time: Morecambe FC 2-1 Notts County FC

Morecambe FC: Roche, Adams, Artell, Bentley (C), Hunter, Jevons (Twiss 80), Craney, Panther (Stanley 57), Drummond, Wilson (Curtis 84), Mullin

Subs Not Used: Davies, Moss, Wainwright, Duffy

Booked: Bentley (70)

Sent Off: None

Goals: Bentley (36), Mullin (52)

Notts County: Schmeichel, Moloney, Ritchie (Westcarr 57), Thompson (C), Hughes, Bishop, Davies, Hawley (Rodgers 55), Clapham, Jackson, Campbell

Subs Not Used: Pilkington, Edwards, Hamshaw, Ravenhill, Facey

Booked: None

Sent Off: None

Goals: Davies (70)

Match Referee: Mr E Ilderton Attendance: 3335

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.