Skip to main content


17:27 29th August 2009

Barnet FC 1-0 Notts County FC

Away fans almost seemed to out number the home as nearly a thousand Magpies travelled to North London, topping the league.

After Barnet's early attack, Moloney was brought down in the box but the referee did not see any infringement. Ravenhill stepped up for a short corner to usual feeder Davies, but the numbers in front of the goal stopped the shot.

Jackson through to Hawley, who set Hughes up beautifully, requiring Cole to tip over the crossbar. The first corner created a second, swung in by Davies but with no result.

Albert Jarrett forced Kasper to the ground to stop. Moments later the ref blew for an off-the-ball offence on Moloney by Mark Hughes. The ball returned straight to Davies from the Barnet defence, putting it back in he found Hughes, who put it right across the mouth from a tight angle, but no one was on the end of it.

Adomah's shot on twenty minutes, came off his own team mate - John O'Flynn. A foul on Thompson by Paul Furlong saw Kasper kick out and both teams kept on the pressure.

Having kicked a clearance out of the ground, Kasper needed to be strong on his line as he took the ball in the air with Furlong coming in fast.

Lee Hughes was booked just before the half hour mark. A kick out by Kasper then found Hughes who brought it down well, putting it over to Hawley to supply Jackson. Jackson's effort came still of the legs of the defence and Jake Cole picked it up easily.

Hawley's ball to Hughes found the net but also the linesman's flag. With ten minutes left in the half, a great run from Moloney saw Hughes test the keeper again.

Bishop supplied well with five left on the clock. Jackson allowing Hawley to force a corner with his cross. Davies' corner was cleared but Bishop picked up and play remained in Barnet's end but still with neither team producing a goal.

Half Time.

Both sides came out fighting in the first few minutes of the second half, Moloney forced a throw with a dangerous ball in, Hunt chased down Adomah well and O'Flynn had a strike but just wide of the mark.

Moloney supplied Davies, who put in a great ball but keeper Cole came forward and took it. 58 minutes in and Rodgers came on for Karl Hawley.

Mark Hughes decision not to pass to O'Flynn, proved a mistake as his shot hammered advertising boards. Seconds later Kasper was tested and a corner conceded. In the following play, Micah Hyde was booked for handling the ball.

Brendan Moloney made space in the box, but his deflected shot fell to Ravenhill who just caught it on the outside of his foot enabling Cole to take it.

Play remained end to end and as the final fifteen minutes approached; neither team had secured a goal. Westcarr came on for Neal Bishop.

Yannick Bolasie ran out for Barnet's Jarrett just before a Notts freekick some distance out, again the linesman's flag went for offside.

Into the last ten minutes and neither side had looked like claiming the three points. Uncontested drop ball after a heavy challenge on Ravenhill. Strong Notts attack was again stopped by the flag - play resuming after Albert Adomah was back on his feet.

Westcarr and Moloney were active down the right side, but again the ball in failed to find a striker. Rodgers chasing the ball down forced Jake Cole to clear for a throw deep into the Barnet half and Notts stayed on the attack until sub Bolasie was brought down on the counter attack by Moloney, earning him a yellow.

Jake Hyde joined close on 90 minutes (replacing O'Flynn); two minutes later claiming the game for Barnet. A tough end for County after a tightly contested match.

Full Time: Barnet FC 1-0 Notts County FC

Barnet: Cole, Hughes, Yakubu, Adomah, O'Flynn, Hyde, O'Neill, Jarrett (Bolasie 76), Leach, Deen, Furlong

Subs Not Used: Devera, Tabiri, Charles, Kamdjo, Carpenter

Booked: Hughes (11), Hyde (63)

Sent Off: None

Goals: Hyde (92)

Notts County: Schmeichel, Moloney, Edwards, Thompson (C), Ravenhill, Hughes, Bishop (Westcarr 73), Davies, Hawley (Rodgers 58), Hunt, Jackson

Subs Not Used: Hoult, Hamshaw, Canham, Clapham, Facey

Booked: Hughes (28), Moloney (89)

Sent Off: None

Goals: None

Match Referee: Mr D Deadman Attendance: 2858

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.